Possible Herpes Exposure?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey Everyone!

Hope you all are doing well.

My story is slightly long. On August 25, I received oral sex from a guy that I was really interested in. The very next day I began feeling tingling sensations on my tongue and in my genitals, I also burned a little for a few days when I would urinate. 

On August 28, I began feeling like a had a stuffed ear (right ear). I immediately went to the doctor and he said that it may have been a viral infection. I freaked out as I thought that this guy had exposed me to herpes.

A few days had gone by and I began experiencing very bad symptoms. I felt very fatigued, I had a lot of joint pain, pains EVERYWHERE, striking pains in my foot and tender lymph nodes. I went to the doctors and they gave me Valtrax in case I may have an outbreak (still no outbreak at this point). That evening I took the Valtrax on an empty stomach and began to throw up, I immedietly went to the ER, they did a culture and examination and did not see any lesions or anything suspicious. 

The very next day,  I found a sore on the roof of my mouth. I immediately went to the doctors and they said it did not look like herpes, they said it looked more like an ulcer. This "ulcer" did not hurt, although it did bleed when I would irritate it after about 3-4 days it was gone. 

Now 25 days later, my vagina does not feel the same, I still feel tingling sensations here and there. I saw two small blisters a few inches above my clitoris, they opened up and scabbed over quickly. It did not hurt at all, I am prone to getting in grown hairs down there so I'm not sure what it could have been. All in all, I have not experienced any outbreaks on my lips or in my genitals however sometimes I feel tingling sensations on my lips and on my genitals.

Could I have been exposed to HSV?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

You either have it or you don't. There's no such thing as only exposed. Tingling alone is also too vague to mean anything. Unlikely anything.

• Posted

Herpes doesn't affect the joints, plus you were swabbed and presumably nothing was found. Your doctor said the ulcer in your mouth wasn't herpes and the bumps you found cleared too quickly for a first outbreak.

• Posted

Is it possible to have all of these symtoms but no lesions? Question, how do you know so much about herpes?
    • Posted

When I got herpes myself, I read and researched everything I could find to answer my own questions. More than the average person, because I had a lot of free time at that point in time. I even created a website, as I found most medical sites to be inadequate in terms of addressing all questions and concerns. I started assisting people on here with what I knew at the same time, and have been doing so daily for well over a year, as there is a lot of false information out there. Anyway, that's me.

As for your situation, herpes still doesn't affect the joints, and a first outbreak with so much going on would have had lesions, plus the swab should have turned up positive. Still worried, swab internally for herpes again when you're tingling, but find a dna/pcr swab if possible, and do the IgG blood test at 3+ months, although many people carry HSV1, so don't be surprised if the blood test turns up positive for that. The dna/pcr swab is best and can actually be done without lesions.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your response! This gave me so much assurance, my Dr. ordered an IGM test just to keep me calm I should get the results by the end of the week or beginning of next. I have done  a ton of research on the IGM test and saw that it isnt the most accurate. Just to keep me sane for the next few weeks before I get my IGG test. 
    • Posted

The IgM test isn't recommended for herpes at all, in fact. CDC, ASHA and HSV experts all advise against it. One of those things that I try to correct on here, yet doctors keep on ordering it for their patients. They should remove the test, imo. Whatever your results are, just disregard them.

• Posted

Yes, that's exactly what I have been reading. When should my results be conclusive because is saying 6 weeks, I'm getting 3 months some places..

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

The conservative answer is IgG at 3 months. Ultra conservative is at 4 months, but pretty good after 2 months. I always advise 3 months for a conclusive result.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.