Possible hypothyroidism?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm a 20 year old female and I have very low heart rate (resting HR is between 50-65bpm). I have read that this is commonly associated with hypothyroidism which runs very strongly in my family, affecting a majority of the women and even a few of the men. 

I also have sympoms of IBS which I assumed to be IBS but I have seen on this site that that could also be a possible sign of hypothyroidism?

I have low energy levels and tend to black out quite regularly rolleyes

I also have social anxiety and going to the dctor utterly scares me, hence me being on this site haha smile

Any help on the matter would be really appreciated!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I also eat very little but still struggle very badly with my weight
  • Posted

Your resting heart rate is certainly low and gaining weight can be due to an under active thyroid gland. I think you should be brave and take your worries to your gp. A blood test, if you haven't already had one will indicate whether your suspicion is right or not. Both my husband and I have underactive thyroid glands and our son developed problems last year and it was a while before the doctor thought perhaps his anxiety was linked to his thyroid gland not working properly. Be sure to mention to the GP that you have close family who are hypothyroid and I am sure he will glad to help you get to the bottom of what is wrong with you. This site can be support group but can't medicate you. Good luck M
  • Posted

I was booked in for a blood test but I never ended up going sad 
    • Posted

Come. On I am sure you want to be well and the first step is to get the blood tst. I am old enough to be your grandmother and if you were my granddaughter would go with you. Ask a friend to go with you if you are nervous. Again again I say be brave. Magge
  • Posted

Hello..... my thyroid WAS over active years ago..... I am now under active after radio iodine treatment....

I get tired..... I ache generally all over.. a warmed wheatbag helps me in the evenings. My medication has kept my issue controlled for a long time..but recently I appear to be over medicating & can feel my heart racing & I'm talking ten to the dozen..... HOT all the time... It's just a load of stuff you get used to though. There are far worse things to suffer with. Tina. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.