Possible hypothyroidism??

Posted , 3 users are following.

Ive been having many issues that the docs have not been able to find out. A year ago i had my gallbladder taken out, and ever since then ive had many issues. First i was a competitive bodybuilder, i was getting ready to compete for my next show almost 2 years ago. At first everything seemed good, but after about 3 months into the off season i started to rapidly lose size and strength, i was up to eating 10,000 cals on certain days to keep my size on. I started experiencing constant muscle spasms and muscle cramps, and back pain. Went to the docs they ran some blood work and my bilirubin, liver enzymes, and kidney enzymes all came back very elevated. They found gallstones so not to long later they yanked it out. I still have constant muscle spasms, cramps and back pain. Ive also lost all of my muscle mass, i deal with joint pain as well. Ive been ran for multiple tests seen G.I's, Urologists, neurologists, cardiologists, primary etc... ive taken it upon myself to run some blood work of my own. Just got a complete thyroid panel and found my reverse t3 is elevated. Everything else checked out. Is it still possible to be hypo?? Levels as follows

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

T3 uptake- 32

T4 total- 8.1

Free T4- 2.6

Tsh 2.16

Reverse t3 26 (Elevated)

Thyroglobulin antibodies <1

Thyroid peroxidase antibodies 5

T3 total 85

T4 free 1.2

T3 free 3.1

• Posted

I can't be of too much help, but I did find that T3 Uptake is increased by anabolic hormones and glucocorticoids, the nephrotic syndrome, and genetic TBG deficiency. T3U is not useful alone but should be combined with T4 to calculate the FTI (also called T7). 

• Posted

I found this too.. T3 uptake This test does not measure thyroid function at all, but thyroid-binding protein saturation. A high T3 uptake means binding proteins are more saturated than normal. When combined with a total T4, this test allows the "free thyroid index" to be calculated, thus correcting for low or high thyroid binding proteins. For example, someone with TBG deficiency has a low T4 and a high T3 uptake, so the product of the two, the free thyroid index, is normal. Since free T4 can be measured directly and inexpensively, there is no reason at all to order a T3 uptake. A somewhat low or high T3 uptake is the presence of a normal TSH level is not clinically relevant.

So.. it seems to me that what may be going on with you, is not thyroid related.. Your thyroid antibodies are all normal too.   Sorry your experiencing so many symptoms.  There is definitely something on.  I wish I could be of more help and advise on what test you should do next.. but I don't know the answer.  Best wishes...

• Posted

Thank you for the reply!! Ive never used any type of anabolics before, so i do not believe that would be the case. Ive done some research and some people say elevated t3 with all normal tests possibly mean hypothyroid, but ive also read that it is not hypo. Its a pain in the neck! But I am going to see my primary again and see what she says, . Thank you for the response! I will keep doing different tests to see if i can find anything
  • Posted

With hypothrodism you woul have a hard time loosing weight, loosing hair, tired all the time ect.. By any chance are you not getting enough magnesium.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.