Possible hypothyroidism

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have always had symptoms of hypothyroid. I’ve had it checked in the past (I assume the doctor only did the basic labs) and it was normal. In the past week or so, it’s like something has snapped. I have these “spells” where I feel confused, out of my head, sweaty hands and feet, hot and cold flashes, neck stiffness, and full blown anxiety. I’ve not had a sex drive in months. I feel exhausted constantly. It has affected my work life to the point where I’m afraid to even go to work because I might have a “spell”. My new doctor did more in depth lab work, and my T3 uptake is low, T3 is high. Also my LDL cholesterol is high. Everything else is within the normal ranges. Thyroid ultrasound is also normal. Doctor is still sending me to endo, but it’s going to be a week or so. Does this sound like hypothyroidism? I’m terrified the Endo is going to ignore those two labs being off and just say I’m fine.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

High cholesterol is often overlooked as a symptom of hypothyroid disease. 

You might want to post your labs and the ranges to see what others suggest.

You might want to tead through the many posts here on thyroid disease and levothyroxin. It will give you a perspective on what others have experienced so you can best utilize your resources.

There’s a pretty typical progression in thyroid disease, a lot of it is simply wasted time and resources that can be better used. 

Managing resources is extremely important if you are to get ahead of the disease.

• Posted

A low sex drive can be from high prolactin levels. The endo will hopefully do testing of sex hormones. You might be hypoglycemic which can cause symptoms like these. There could be so many reasons for your symptoms that would not be thyroid related. High LDLs are not always from thyroid disorders and if they were there would be other labs out of range. Let us know when you get lab results. Do you have family history of thyroid disease? Is that why you read through this forum?
    • Posted

My thyroid levels never showed out of range. The ranges are suoer broad. The ONLY thing that showed out (consistently) along with my thyroid being really wonky was cholesterol.

Eventually the sex hormone levels started dropping due to the hypothyroid. The biggest indicator on that was excessive bleeding, double periods, two weeks on, two weeks off. That’s an indication of low progesterone. The docs like to out this off to age, but it happened to me in my 20s- both the high cholesterol and double periods. Back then, they didn't  didn't run tests as willingly as they do now. For example, if your periods was it irregular, they out you on birth control pills. No tests, no nothing. 

Really, the thyroid controls every function in your body. The body prioritizes thyroid function and will sacrifice less necessary function to direct resouces to help the thyroid function stat stable. Sex hormones are the first to go because they are cobsidered a lower priority for survival if the body. The high cholesterol is a backup of raw materials for the production if sex hormones and a result of sluggish liver)

Fortunately, I had a giant cyst and was eventually diagnosed properly by ultrasound. But even that was a huge battle- ten years to get a proper diagnosis, even with a 2.5cm cyst! The NDTs worked for a while until they kept changing the formulations- the sex hormones went back to normal... The NDTs were manageable  (except for the anxiety and other issues). I was anle to manage the dosing with the help of a REALLY good endo but, they’re hard to find. Once I moved, I wasn't able to find a really good endo.

I’ve  had best luck with doctors trained in Russia, Romania. 

• Posted

Thank you all for your responses, they’ve actually given me a diagnosis of POTS syndrome. I’m not completely sold on the idea, but all of my lab work returned normal including the sex hormones, a1c, etc. My ultrasound was also normal. With either diagnosis I’m not sure what else to check. They started me on BP meds, which have helped some, but I feel my symptoms slowly creeping back. 
  • Posted

Hi Kelkel, I’m always suspicious of a syndrome diagnosis. Its like, ok, we can’t  diagnose anything else, and you have these symptoms in common... 

You could try some detoxing, as mercury, bromine (and other exposure) can result in low T3. 

I can tell you, that I have advanced thyroid disease, and the best indicator has been high cholesterol. 

There are dietary recommendations and supplements for thyroid disease that can be very helpful. Its very important to have good gut and stomach health, as simple malnutrition can result in hypothyroid symptoms. 

The best help I’ve found for ‘subclinical’ thyroid disease is acupuncture and essential amino acids, a gluten free paleo diet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.