Possible Hysterectomy

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all! I'm new to the board & had a few questions. But first a little back story. I'm in the mid 30s, have 2 kids, over 10 years history with ovarian cysts, history of cancer (in youth), & all the women in my family have endometriosis. Over the past 10 years the cysts have become more frequent & more painful; for the past few years my periods have become very heavy & irregular, hormones, anxiety & depression have been all over the place & a thing called "lighting crotch" (a sharp pain in labia & vagina) increasingly getting worse & more frequent.

I seen given 2 choices: I can get a Mirena IUD or hysterectomy.

The dr said that the iud could potentially stop the hemorrhaging & pain, however after doing research & talking to other ppl who had iud's,the possibility of my symptoms becoming worse doesn't sound appealing, although a hysterectomy doesnt either.

So my questions are: has anyone tried an iud to help their endometriosis, or should I just get the hysterectomy?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I haven’t been in your exact situation and the decision is very personal. In my opinion, if you were older, I would say hysterectomy for sure. However, given your young age maybe you could consider IUD. If you are open to the idea of counseling they can help you examine your situation more thoroughly. Good luck.
    • Posted

I agree, I am young for a hysterectomy & I've been talking to my therapist about my situation (it's caused alot of anxiety) & have been weighing each option & trying to educate myself about everything. Thanks so much for your input.

• Posted

An IUD releases more  hormones into the uterus and also irritates the uterine lining.  Do some research on line about what happens if the IUD penetrates the uterine wall and what has to be done to remove it then.  And how much damage it can do.  In the USA the maker of the Miirena coil has been sued repeatedly by women who have been hurt by it.  But, it still seems to be very popular in the UK.  

If you have a family history of cancer, the last thing you need, in my opinion, is an instrument that could make things worse instead of better.  It doesn't matter whether you're young or not.  Do you want more children?  If not, putting a foreign body in yourself could be highly risky. xx 

• Posted

I've been doing alot of research on the iud & hysterectomy, I think that's why I'm second guessing the iud now. My children are young teenagers & I had my tubes tied 13 years ago, so I don't plan or want anymore babies, lol. Thanks so much for you're input.

• Posted

I'm glad you're re-thinking the iud. Your children will need you for a long time.  Clearing your abdomen of an organ that can be potentially cancerous is better in the long run.  At your young age, you will have no difficulty healing from the op. Best of luck to you! xx

• Posted

Hi there,

I feel like we have the same exact story! I can tell you that I tried the Mirena IUD, and can without a doubt tell you DONT DO IT!  It didn’t help, and actually made everything so much worse.

I am 5 days post hysterectomy.  They took everything except my right ovary, so I don’t have to fool with HRT.  

If you are genuinely finished having babies, I’d say do it!  I’m obviously only in the beginning stages of the healing process, but I am absolutely elated that this is the end of the suffering.  Good luck!

• Posted

Hi.

I have had tvh in January and have sailed through the recovery.

I a bit older than you (50) but don't look it 😜😜😜 never suffered with periods or endo ,I had mine due to prolapse. However I know a close friend that had a hyster at ageb 29 due to horrific endo and it didn't make any difference as the endo can spread outside the womb and travel around the other organs.

If I was you i would get a second opinion without a doubt and really ask all your questions before you decide hun.

I can't speak about the coil but I wouldn't want that inside me either.

I.know a highly skilled surgeon in Cardiff who dea is specifically in endo but not sure where you are.

I also would seek a naturopath or consultant herbalist to treat it before I get surgery.

I know a fabulous herbalist if you want to pm.me. Good luckx

• Posted

Having a hysterectomy does not solve your problem, i have had my hysterectomy over 10 years ago, and suffer many side effects, to begin with hormonal invalace , ovarian cyst, pain in my pelvic area and lower back. Not being ably to lift heavy things( if you do you need to be in bed for a day or so) so I could consider my options before making a decision to have an hysterectomy, look for natural remedies for your problem, hope all goes well....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.