Possible IBS, 27yr old female

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone.

Along with a million and one other problems I now have a gastro app next Thursday! 

I’m new to this group itself and new to information about IBS..

Was having extreme pain in lower left pelvic area, specially during & after the toilet, crazy amount of pressure lower stomach &  stomach also swells to the extend I look 4 months pregnant! I have lost a stone in weight which isn’t good for myself as I was only 8st to begin with..

Doctor originally referred me for ultrasound for the pain to find i had a ovarian cyst so he put the pain to that, recently had a follow up off the scan & it’s now gone. Yet the pain is still there and I’m still swollen, he finally sent a stool sample to lab which came back as moderately high (whatever that means) then he put expedite letter for gastro on Tuesday & I now have a app Thursday. 

I use buscopan for the pain which works more often than not but this pain is every single day, it don’t go away it just comes in wave lengths off pain. Also got prescribed Mebeverine which he said will help reduce the swelling but it haven’t  😏

Anybody like to share similar situations or some information on IBS please?

Thanks in advance ??

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi, you can try enteric coated peppermint oil capsules, you need the enteric coated ones, because they dissolve in the intestines, and check out the FODMAP diet online, cut down on certain sugars.
    • Posted

I actually just bought these and like the way they work. Ironically I think they have the same active ingredient as the expensive medicine that comes in the green box I BS card I think it's called. So you are getting the same medicine for half the price. Not sure it's exactly the same but both main ingredients are peppermint oil 

• Posted

Your problems are somewhat  similar to mine, however I am a 36-year-old male, so none of it is female/related. However I have the same pain in my lower pelvic area from time to time. I have had every test done and it shows nothing.   If I may ask, is constipation part of the problem?   I was given a medication for the cramping, I will have to look up the proper spelling but it is something like dicyclomine, it's an anti-spasm medication for the stomach and intestines.

• Posted

Oh no, are they doing further testing? No I have normal stools soft, just sometimes hard to release even though it’s a normal stool, I have constant swollen stomach that gets worse from time to time, also lower back and pelvis pain, still sample sent to lab and came back moderately high, recently seen Gp last week, who then put in expedite letter as I’m rapidly loosing weight now too! I have my first gastro app on Thursday! I hope you find some answers soon.
    • Posted

About two summers ago I had similar issues and also lost a lot of weight. Some of the weight loss however was due to the fact that I could not eat because if I did eat all of my symptoms would flare up, it seem like the only time I felt "normal "was when I had no food in my system. Again no test ever showed anything they just told me that I most likely had a bad  case of IBS. I think some of your symptoms may be gas or the fact you have hard stools. I tend to think when stool is in your G.I. system being process to come out, it causes pain pressure bloating and discomfort but that is just my opinion , I feel like, if it is difficult to come out and pass through the rectum, it must give you the same feeling going through the G.I. tract.    I am constantly bloated too. I tried a supplement called ATRANTIL  this is designed specifically for gas and bloating in the intestinal system.    Has your doctor check to you for SIBO? If you don't know what that is, basically it is wiki got syndrome your body produces too much bacteria and produces bacteria in parts of the G.I. track it where it's not supposed to be. There is a Nother medication for intestinal spasms , not sure the exact name but it is a little tablet that dissolves under your tongue.

• Posted

Hi, have you tried magnesium citrate or Turmeric?, Turmeric, the 95% curcumin one, I seem to be having a lot of bloating at the moment, seems like 2 weeks, and a sort of dull pain just under my ribs,
  • Posted

Additionally, I have not been able to pinpoint the causes. There has not been any specific food I have noticed me this flareup. In desperation I went to an acupuncturist, only went out once,  I will continue but didn't think the acupuncture itself did much. The advice she gave me however I seem to like. She suggested I increase my water intake, drink hot water with lemon in the morning, and in the  afternoon drink a quarter cup of water with a quarter tablespoon of salt/this was to help the body retain the water and keep things, including the digestive system, hydrated.   She said if I just drink large amounts of water consistently throughout the day, my body would most likely just  flush it out too quickly, which is why she suggested the salt water.   She also told me to massage my lower abdomen, you can Google those types of massages as they are calm and for the pain we are experiencing. The massages are also intended to facilitate with digestion. By the way I am in the United States not that that makes a difference but I know some medications are different. Have you tried anything over the counter?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.