Possible IBS

Posted , 2 users are following.

I started having pain in my right side of my abdomen back in November. At first I thought it may be my appendix but the doctor didn't seem to think it was and told me to take pain killers as it may be a strained muscle. The pain continued on and off moving from by my belly button into my right hand side and around to my back. I have had routine bloods twice, tests for urine/bladder infections, two ultrasounds to rule out gall bladder and kidneys and tablets for gastritis that didn't make any difference so was told to stop taking them.

The first ultrasound I paid to go private so asked them to check my ovaries etc as I thought it could be a cyst or worse.

All of these were clear. I have bloods for thyroid and gluten intolorence both clear.

The pain is still there, often when I get up in the morning it's worse, I have pain in my back, increased bowel movements and spells of dizziness.

I am not sure how much of it I am now bringing on myself by thinking about it too much. My family keep telling me to try and forget about it as I have had tests and they have all been clear but it still playing on my mind and I can't get on as normal.

Could it be possible that I have given myself Ibs through stress and worry? I don't know what else to do as I keep going back to the doctors and they don't seem to have any answer.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sian,

Did you have any problems with diarrhoea, constipation or incomplete bowel emptying when the pain first started in November?

Roz

• Posted

Hi I had bad diarrhea in Dec but not sure if that was an effect of the tablets I was given for suspected gastritis. My bowel movements are more frequent and can be worse in the morning, some mornings I get trapped wind and then the need to go to the bathroom.
    • Posted

I put a post on here earlier about ileocecal valve massage. If you Google that phrase you'll find a lot of info on how to do it for yourself and, as your pain seems to be in the spot where the valve is located this could well be your problem. It's dead easy to do, and only takes 5 -10 secs 3 times a day. The results are dead quick too.
  • Posted

Hi Sian

The normal ultrasound test is unreliable for identifying cysts. Certainly mine was not found with this test. Apparently the ovaries are hard to view and can even be hidden from view. I have been in the same position as yourself and ended up paying for a private CT scan which found my cyst. I have since heard however that the best method is a trans vaginal ultrasound to view the ovaries, and I personally would recommend you go back to your GP and insist you are referred to gynae then get this test done, better still pay for it privately to avoid the red tape as if your GP is anything like mine they will avoid doing anything at all! Good luck xx

• Posted

Thank you Louise. I have been thinking about having another scan privately. It certainly seems like a cyst after reading about them and the symptoms they cause.
  • Posted

I put a post on here earlier about ileocecal valve massage. If you Google that phrase you'll find a lot of info on how to do it for yourself and, as your pain seems to be in the spot where the valve is located this could well be your problem. It's dead easy to do, and only takes 5 -10 secs 3 times a day. The results are dead quick too.

• Posted

Thank you for this, I will definitely take a look. smile
  • Posted

Ps I should add that the reason I say follow up the cyst route is because my GP insisted after the ultrasound that I had IBS for months but it was not! Cysts can give very similar symptoms x
    • Posted

Louise, Did you need am operation? Wjat symptoms did you have if you don't mind me asking x
    • Posted

Hi Sian, my symptoms initially began as a discomfort in my right side abdomen sort of as if there was a golf ball in there. Then started to get a burning pain through to my back which sometimes spread right across my lower back. I have had nausea, bloating and some gas build up in the right side of my colon and constipation at times. An increased need to urinate. I find the pain is worse leading up to ovulation, and the worst was at xmas when the pain was so bad I was vomiting, though this only lasted 2 hours. Bar the constant feeling that there is 'something in my RH abdomen' the other symptoms come and go
    • Posted

Thank you for getting back to me. Your symptoms do sound similar to mine. I will go back to the doctor and see if I can get a internal ultrasound. Hopefully this may shed more light on things.

Sorry that you have to wait so long for treatment.

Hope everything goes ok. X

• Posted

Oh sorry meant to say that I have not had an op unfortunately, the cyst was found at beginning of December but I have to wait til 23rd feb to see gynae

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.