Possible IC; afraid to go to doctor

Edited , 3 users are following.

I used to be a coffee drinker and not so much of a water drinker (bad for me, I know). After a two or three days of drinking 3 cups of coffee a day and not much else back in October I noticed that my urgency to use the bathroom didn't go away after I actually went. I thought it was the coffee and stopped drinking it but it didn't go away. After several days it had actually become pretty bad, and thinking I had a UTI I went to the doctor. My tests all came back clean, and she said that it sounded like I had cystitis, to drink 5-7 thermoses of water a day, take some AZO, and contact her in a week if things weren't better. They really weren't better in a week, although it wasn't as distractingly uncomfortable. I messaged her and she encouraged me to continue drinking water and practicing kegels, which I did. The kegels seemed to irritate me in the short term but help in the longterm. I eventually cut back on the water some, and reintroduced decaf coffee around December. I haven't touched caffeine or citrus drinks since October. I'm still drinking 3-5 glasses of water a day, but it seems to be making a resurgence over the past several days. It's the same feeling of severe urgency. I have no incontinence, no burning with urination, but I do have burning afterwards. This is very embarrassing but it honestly feels like my urethra is burning. It is affecting my sleep and my sex life. I am young (23) and I am very discouraged. I don't want to deal with this discomfort for the rest of my life, which seems to be the case if it's IC. I don't want to have to choose between the discomfort of inflammation and the discomfort of constantly needing to go to the bathroom from chugging water all the time. I don't want to never be able to go to a nice coffeeshop with friends. I want to be able to have sex with my husband without it causing a flareup. Sorry if this is too personal but I wanted to get an online opinion before I scheduled another appointment. The doctor told me if I went back in I would be referred to a urologist, which is a lot of stress I would really rather not hassle with, but its looking more and more like I won't have a choice.

0 likes, 3 replies

Report / Delete

3 Replies

  • Posted

    hello! I forgot I was part of this forum as I had joined a few years ago when something similar happened to me and I was freaking out. Of course not everyone's experience is the same but I basically had continual irritation after a UTI which it was believed left me with inflammation. I saw a urologist and ended up having a cystoscopy to check things out but they told me to take d mannose, this natural tablet from a health food store. I felt mugged off at first, then took it and it resolved things for me! I think you should go to the doctor and absolutely talk things through but possibly try/discuss trying d mannose. Worked for me and now I make sure I always have a supply. Good luck!

    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Thank you so much for your response! I could see it being inflammation as you suggested, and that would be such a relief if true. I'm in the middle of a pretty high stress time in my life as well and I'm wondering if this is just one way my body has physically chosen to manifest it. No matter the root problem, I really miss being able to go through my day drinking whatever beverage I want and not being in discomfort. I will be making an appointment with my doctor to hopefully get something figured out after this weekend. Thank you again for your help!

      Report / Delete Reply
  • Edited

    Hi Anna,

    I had similar symtoms like you. I went to an urologist and all my tests came back ok so the thought was that i possibly had a sensitive bladder. I ended up looking up the IC diet and followed it and it worked. It did take some time so be patient . I barely have any issues as long as i dont abuse certain foods. Its under ichelp.org . It will give you a chart of foods that are bladder friendly and the ones that are not. Try to stay away from coffee, citrus and spices. There is also an over the counter medicine that is called prelief. If you happen to eat something and it starts to bother you you can take prelief and it will help you. Drink at least 6 to 8 cups of water a day . Good luck let us know how things turn out.

    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up