Possible kidney disease?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Would more show up in my kidney tests other than a potassium level of 5.1 if I had kidney disease or kidney failure? When I got my bloods taken the nurse had trouble getting a vein and then when she took the needle out I was bleeding quite bad and she said it would bruise, if that affects the result in anyway.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Your potassium is only slightly over the norm of between 3-5 so I wouldn't be too alarmed of a reading of 5.1 it depends what you have been eating before the blood test, to see if there are any issues you would need the bloods doing again.  Your kidney function would be lowered,, your creatinine up, possible protien in your urine, issues with albumin.  What sent you to the dr in the first place? you would need a few more tests to diagnose an issue, even if all of the above are not right more than one blood test would be required as lots of things can effect your kidney function.

• Posted

I do eat quite a lot of bananas and also what sent me to the doctor was that I was having discomforts under both my ribs like my ribs were pressing on something for about a month but that was on the front side of my body that's why I went to the docs. I've heard that when nurses have trouble getting blood that it can affect the reading. As I say my potassium was the only thing that came up as being off so they have already asked me to come back on Tuesday to get them redone

• Posted

Hi,

My friend who was my doner wasn't forthcoming with blood or a lady I was in hospital with and it didn't skew their results.  Bananas are really high in potassium may be worth laying off them for the next blood test and seeing what is what then.  It may not be kidney related at all but if you are feeling discomfort then you know you better than anyone so there must be something causing you these issues.  If all your bloods are ok kidney wise I would continue to attend your dr if you are worries until you get an answer.  

• Posted

I am also having pain across my lower back which is really worrying me. So worried I have mucked my kidneys up at such a young age and my life will be shorter
    • Posted

And also, what did the top part of your last reply mean in regards to me?
    • Posted

The top bit in regards to you means that just cos there is difficulty getting blood out doesn't mean you will get wrong results I know loads of people that nurses/drs find it difficult to get blood from them but their results have been their results as long as there is blood in the tube no matter how small they can test it for loads.  I have Alports that caused my CKD and you don't get pain with CKD itself this is why it is called the silent disease and people don't find out til they are stage 3 but the things that cause CKD can cause pain depending what it is.  Your blood results would show issues though if it was your kidneys.  I first started having issues at 13 they didn't diagnose me til I was 32 turns out wasn't supposed to live past 10, I have been on dialysis and had a transplant last year I am 39 if you do have kidney issues it does,'t mean a shorter life there are loads of lovely people on here who are in their 70's.  Its easy to say but try not to worry, see how your next bloods go and take it from there. Keep us posted on how you get on.

• Posted

Somebody told me I could have possible hemolysis of the blood sample whatever that is that could have had an effect on the sample. I was also told if I had kidney failure I would definitely know and if I had kidney disease then when my bloods are taken as a basic chemistry test creatinine and BUN would have been taken as well as potassium levels and that both creatinine and BUN must have been normal otherwise my doctor would have ordered for more specific kidney function tests so I'm not to worry

• Posted

I would ask your dr about the above and see what they say, deffo worth asking your dr though us on here are not medically trained we give our own experiences that we have been through. I have not heard of the above. It is worth baring in mind you can get a false reading of potassium if the tube of blood has been shaken.  I have high readings when this has happened been the the next day and it has been fine.  Due to my condition I have had high potassium 7 and over but it was just controlled with diet I didn't have to have any treatment for it.  I would write a list of questions you want to ask whoever is taking your blood next week if you write them down as you think of them that way you wont forget anything that you need to ask.  They have more than likely done a full blood count which would include all of the kidney function tests.  The basic are GFR (kidney function, creatinine etc) if any of them came back abnormal I am sure they would investigate further for you.  It is a worry when you know yourself that something isn't right but you don't know what it is.  Its a good thing they have asked you to go for repeat tests it means they are looking after you smile

• Posted

HI there got my bloods retaken on Tuesday then got phoned up saying my blood sample clotted on Wednesday so got my bloods retaken AGAIN yesterday so will have my results on Monday. I asked the nurse as I have a big night out on Saturday if I could drink and there would be no chance of me having kidney failure or disease and she told me I don't have to worry about that at all as there's no chance I have either so I should probably believe that for now. Will tell you how my kidney function test comes back on Monday. They once again told me it was only my potassium that was slightly over in my last kidney function test so not to worry because this can happen for a multitude of reasons

• Posted

Hi,

Just out of interest what are your platlet levels like as high readings of this can cause blood clottings?. You can drink if you have kidney disease as it is your liver that processes alcohol just within reason.  I am sure you are fine as you have been told and I would agree and have said that potassium can change and you say you eat loads of bananas so hopefully all is well again.  Have a fab night out and yes do let me know how you get on.

• Posted

Hi there. I don't know what my platelet levels were like but they did tell me that blood samples clot quite regularly. My mum has even had blood samples clot so it's not a rare occurrence. Realistically I shouldn't even be on this forum but I just get health anxiety quite badly sometimes, but I've been told that my bloods were nothing worrisome as again they have blood samples that have slightly high potassium levels quite regularly and they just take them again to make sure they have came back down. I will let you know on Monday.

Thanks x

• Posted

Hi there just got my kidney function tests back and they've came back as satisfactory so that's a relief to know my kidneys are working fine. Thanks for your help anyway x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.