Possible light in the far distance

Posted , 5 users are following.

had tkr 14 weeks ago and have had a terrible 3 months from a very bad bleed after 10 days to then not being allowed to do exercises so only had 30 degrees flex and had a MUA 4 weeks ago followed by virtually daily Physio.

anyway 8 days ago I managed for the first time to be able to have my leg in a sitting position all day without having to rest it at all, this allowed me to move my knee every few minutes, do extra slides or more exercises with an ankle weight and a Physio bolster..

i didnt realise until the day after how much more I had done, spent next couple of days doing hydro therapy at local pool and pushed hard on with exercises. 

Saw private Physio after 4 days and he was really surprised at how far I had moved on and when I saw nhs Physio the next day she said “great now let’s get you walking properly “ and I spent 90 minutes doing a stream of exercises just based on me walking with confidence and using stairs properly.

I just wanted to bring a positive post instead of the negative previous posts I’ve made. Am I fixed? No but finally I can see that maybe in 6 months time I’ll be in a much happier place.

Am I pain free - definitely not and in fact a Dr friend suggested I get my medication changed to help with sleeping.

so whilst not everything is rosy, I can see in the far distance something that I believe may be a ray of hope

thanks for reading and keep up with the exercises 

4 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

...and the water therapy was THE BEST thing you could ever do!!!  Great news!!!
  • Posted

I am also same time frame as you, but no complications other then swelling. So now my ROM is 120 but my straight is -15...it was -5 at 4 weeks...WHAT THE HELL.  So therapist tried forcing it down and even told me to put a weight in it last week....and now I feel like I am back at 6 weeks.....it aches so much and I think I am now -25!  I almost hit her in the face.  What is best thing to loosen ham string?  I am at wits end and still wish I had never done this.  I am waiting for that glimmer of light at the end.
    • Posted

Advances, setbacks and plateaus...all part of the game.  No surprises.  Want to get to zero degrees straight?  Try #3...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tkr-rom-work-at-home-620053

Guaranteed to work.  Gravity is a hard taskmaster.  Better have a pillow to scream into, tell everyone to leave the house and call the neighbors.  Tell them NOT to call the police when they hear loud noises and screaming coming from your house.  It's brutal...but necessary...and you will thank me for it down the road...  Just don't curse my name too loudly the first few times you do this.  Thank you...

PS: Adding the ankle weights is full-on superhero stuff!!!

• Posted

One of the things that the different Physio’s have done is deep tissue massage all Dow my leg and my butt. Once they’ve released knots it’s been been easier to bend and one has taught my wife how to do it. It really hurts but I’m sure it’s helped. I’m doing hydrotherapy virtually ever day as pool is only 5 min drive away. 
  • Posted

I have been getting massages for years for my RA, and 2 weeks ago she really worked on the back knee and it felt better, she comes this week and I will have her do intense job again, maybe she will have to come once a week to do just the leg....good thought.  Thanks for all the advice and encouragement. And Chico, I will try your exercise and will try not to scream your name while laying on my bed, my hubby might get wrong idea!!  Lol have to laugh or I will cry.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.