Possible lupus?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Around 10 months ago I went on a camping trip and the following day I felt 'dizzy' or 'semi drunk' this has pretty much been constant ever since.

The doctors diagnosed labyrinthitus but after four month I was exactly the same. I had ear tests with an ENT and results were normal.

I have a series of other symptoms - around the same time I began feeling ill a rash appeared on my left cheek it's kind of dull and not greatly obvious but it's almost like a prefect circle just neck to my nose.

I have also been experiencing fatigue - joints pains - I have a dull pain in my left elbow and also left knee - which seems to come and go. Also also have some dull chest pain which seems to come and go.

I have also had various sores around my body which seem to appear one at a time I had a few on my arm and back of neck they are like spots that take forever to heal and are about the size of a 5p coin and leave a scar.

I have also had strange things going on with my neck - it will go stiff and I am getting lots of cracking and popping noises when moving head certain ways.

I feel like there is something the doctors have missed. Could it be lupus?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Did you camp in an area where there are ticks? If so the rash on your cheek may well be from a tick bite. Some tick borne infections produce symptoms similar to those of Lupus. With regards to your neck, sleeping on a different surface from your bed and using different pillows can cause the problems you describe with the popping and crunching you are experiencing. Also, dizziness can result from such neck problems. There are several exercises you can do to help reduce both the neck problems and the dizziness, ask your doctor for them, or go online. You could also ask for a referral to a physiotherapist. Blood tests will rule out or identify any tick fevers/infections.

Good luck.

• Posted

I have had a few blood tests which didn't identify anything - but they were just a general test and not anything specific.

We camped in the ribble valley and I am not sure this is known area for tick activity.

• Posted

Hi,

I didn't say before, but I am a qualified nurse with 30+ years experience and I've nursed people with tick borne illnesses. I've just checked and Lancashire has had warnings of tick problems. Despite what Turow says in their reply many of your symptoms do match some tick borne infections particularly Lyme disease. I would advise you to ask your GP for screening for autoimmune diseases and for Lyme disease soon. Untreated Lyme disease and some other tick borne diseases can lead to some serious complications.

Lupus, especially Systemic Lupus causes symmetrical symptoms i.e. joint pains in both wrists/knees/elbows/fingers and toes etc. rashes are often symmetrical too.

Do you have pets and did they go camping with you, if so please check their skin for evidence of bites?

Best wishes. 

• Posted

I know it sounds cliche, but try for 1 week to just ignore it and I would bet that you're obsessing which could actually create symptoms. Try it and I bet you'll feel better. Take care!

• Posted

Have you had any blood work done? That's how they discovered mone. I had a crazy rash for 9 years!!!

• Posted

I've had general blood tests but not looking for anything specific.

I am trying not to think about it but I still know there is something that has not yet been identified.

They told me labyrinthitus but yet when I saw the ENT consultant he said he was sceptical of that diagnosis as my symptoms were not typical.

If it wasn't labyrinthitus then what - something put me in bed for almost two weeks during which time I struggled to cope with the sense of unrealism and dizzyness.

Since then I have gradually improved over 10 months very very slowly. I am now back working again (I had to leave my job and have now started my own business which is doing really well but whatever the problem is is still stopping me from going full throttle I'm having to manage my energy and tiredness.

I've also noticed that symptoms are significantly worse after a good drink - to the point where I will now refrain 90% of the time. If this typical of Lyme or lupus or anything?

I agree that some of my aches and pain could well be old age or a coincidence but I continue to look for answers as it feels as though it is all connected - you can't go from one month being fit and healthy young man capable of running a half marathon in 1hr 45mins to feeling like an old man surely.

There's one more thing that is really weird. But friend and family have heard it so it's not my imagination.

For the last 10 months I have felt as thought there is some sort of swelling/instability in the back of my neck about an inch or two right of my spine just below the hairline - now here's the thing is I stand under the shower and press the area firmly in a downwards motion it create a loud crack in my sternum/collarbone area - it only does it when my neck is warm and you can't feel with the other hand the motion in the collarbone area which coincides with the crack- how weird is that?! Some sort of ligament/muscle ? I definately think this is connected . Unltasound shower nothing in the neck area of p

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.