Possible lymphoma? Trouble understanding ultrasound results.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I'm extremely worried about my possibility of lymphoma. I've had a swollen lymph node on the right side of my neck for about 6 months now, I'm a 24 year old female. I went to get an ultrasound on the right side of my neck to see what it may be and here are my results:

Technique: real time sonographic images of the posterior right neck for 6 months, chronic lymphadentis.

Findings: several (at least 4) scattered, fairly well circumscribed, ovoid masses of similar appearance but varying size in the relatively shallow subcutaneous soft tissues of the anterior superior to lower lateral right neck, the largest measuring 1.0 cm in greatest dimension, demonstrating heterogeneous low echogencity most consistent with borderline enlarged and small lymph nodes.

conclusion: several scattered borderline enlarged small lymph nodes in the subcutaneous soft tissues of the right neck, the largest measuring 1.0cm in greatest dimension. These may be reactive nodes due to inflammation or infection, although malignancy, such as lymphoma is also a remote possibility. If not already obtained, CT of the neck with contrast may provide additional information.

I know I don't have an infection, cat scratch disease, the flu, because I've taken multiple blood tests ruling those out. I was sick with a bacterial throat infection around 6-7 months ago but obviously got better. 

What are your thoughts? Has anyone had similar ultrasound results prior to being diagnosed with lymphoma?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Trish. I finished treatment for lymphoma about 17 months ago. The only way that they will find out if it is lymphoma is by doing a biopsy, and that's what I would be telling the doctors that that is what I want. Feel free to ask any questions, that's what we're here for.

• Posted

Hi Joy,

Prior to being diagnosed, did you happen to do an ultrasound or ct scan that showed multiple nodes? Do you remember the size of them? Reason I'm asking is because my ent mentioned he beleives i should just watch and wait 

• Posted

Hi Trish. No, had all the scans after the biopsy to see if I had them anywhere else apart from my neck. Luckily I didn't, but by the time treatment began 2 more in my neck had appeared. I don't believe in watch and wait when lymphoma is a possibility.

• Posted

Hi trish, don't jump to conclusions until you get results of your CT scan. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, and it would not show up on tests until I was in my 70's although I already guessed I had it cause of my enlarged nuckles. The swollen lymph nodes could be a result of infection by some kind of Arthritis. I have had a swollen lymph node since I was in my twenties. Never  had it properly diagnosed. Now I am 75.

• Posted

Hi. I think you will find that Trish has only had an ultrasound and has not had, as yet, a CAT scan. I too have rheumatoid arthritis (zero negative so did not show in blood test results) but still had lymphoma. Far better to get a biopsy done as soon as possible and get it ruled out rather than wait and see after which the prognosis could be much worse.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.