Possible malpractice?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I just got back from the ER in Canada because of a foreign body in the back of my left eye.

As I spoke to the doctor there very quickly I sensed that he didn't like me, that he wanted to get rid of me as soon as possible (note that I am a foreigner)

He put a cotton swab into my eye, and said that he removed a foreign body but that I would have to see an ophtalmologist, because he didn't have a magnifying glass to check whether there were smaller bodies also present.

I didn't think much of it at first, and I couldn't tell whether I had anything left in my eye because of all he put in it but then I wondered, is it possible for an emergency department not to have a magnifying glass for that purpose?

And now that I am back home I can feel that the foreign body is there exactly as before, as if he had done nothing. Ever since the beginning I felt one large body and I still feel the same.

Is it possible that he removed something and that I still feel the presence of one large body, even though he supposedly removed a large one and that all that should be left would be smaller ones invisible to the naked eye? And is it possible for an emergency department not to have a magnifying glass for this kind of intervention?

As another possibly relevant note, when I asked him whether my eyesight would get back to normal soon he responded "sure it will", but the nurse that was also present at the time made him make sure that I was actually able to read text from a piece of paper.

Am I right to suspect malpractice from him, and if so what do you suggest I should do?

Thank you,

Leo

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I think that you should go to an eye hospital if possile. You may have concretions. Dry eyes are very painful and make youfeel as though you have sand thrown in your eye. The foreign ody sensation.

?You don't mention if your eye is watering or not. May have a corneal abrasion, if so neds identifying then antibiotic cream .

• Posted

Hi Leo, do you live in the UK?

Forget about malpractice & concentrate on sorting your eyes out.  A&E in the UK would have a slit lamp, which is what Ophthalmologists use to examine eyes & if there isn't an Ophthalmologist on call, Canada or UK, it might be very hit & miss as to treatment but in the UK, they would examine you & if there was an Ophthalmologist on call, depending on day & location, s/he would be called.  Otherwise you would be told when to return to see an Ophthalmologist.

If you still have a problem, you can go to your GP who will examine your eye & tell you what to do next.  Or you could go somewhere like Specsavers, who would also be able to examine your eye & refer you to your local Eye Clinic.  Or if you are in a large enough place, your local hospital may have an emergency eye clinic where you can just 'walk in' & wait.

Good luck.

• Posted

This is not a time to worry about malpractice suits! You must get your eyes sorted!

It's possibly an extreme dry eye which does make you feel like there's stuff in there. You could also have filamental keratitis, which is what I had, which is an offshoot of dry eye.

Can you see tiny almost invisible white specks on your cornea? Look in a magnifying mirror...

Look espcially in the area of the cornea where the irritation is coming from. If you do, don't attempt to remove them. Put in a thick eye gel and keep your eyes shut for a while.

In all events, try an opticians or any other kind of eye doctor and asked to be viewed through a slit lamp.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.