Possible Metatarsal Break

Posted , 5 users are following.

Whacked my foot on the dresser about 7 hours ago and was in extreme pain but thought.it was just a stubbed toe. However now the pain in just under the toe around the metatarsal area. The skin has discoloured a little (red) and there is some swelling. Do I need to head to A&E for an X-ray or is this something I should just treat at home?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I broke my toe 3 months ago and because I didn't treat it or even bother to x ray it for 5 weeks, it is still broken!!! So my suggestion is to get it seen to soon.

Are you in Australia? If so, I wouldn't personally bother with A & E, I would go to my GP and get a referral for an x ray that way. Ther s lots of places open on a Saturday these days. Otherwise you will most likely be waiting hours in the hospital. 

• Posted

Hi Aidan,

I think maybe you should get an xray to make sure there is not a break in there.

• Posted

There are 2 options here, go get yourself checked out immediately, or wait and find out you can’t walk on it over the next couple of days, and then get yourself checked out. Usually if nothing gets better after 24hours and you can walk on it or move it, it’s broken. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.