POSSIBLE MILD FIBROMYALGIA DIAGNOSIS

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello I have posted on this forum before. At the time I was waiting for a referral to a rheumatologist. I had my appointment to see the consultant on June 20th. After my examination and answering many questions she said that she agreed with my GP that I have quite a few trigger points. I already know I have oa in my neck,knees and spine and she mentioned possible hips. She sent me for for several xrays. She also said that from a blood test done in 2017/2018? my B12 was low 130 I think she said. I mentioned I have regular annual blood tests and have never been told there was a B12 problems. I do take VitD3/calcium. So her possible diagnosis is mild Fibromyalgia against a background of Osteoarthritis. I am now waiting for the results of xrays and blood tests results which will be sent to my gp. So I hope that I will soon get the results. At the moment although my knees hurts a lot the main problem at the moment is awful pain in neck, shoulder and tops of arms something going to down to hands . The left arm is the worst and the right thumb if that makes sense. Can low B12 cause any of these problems. I also get low back aches and leg and ankle pain. Have seen a vasular doctor as I have severe varicose veins and he did not feel the pain was coming from them, and anyway I don't meet the criteria for surgery. I also have stomach and bowel issues ibs and gastritis. I also have hypothyroidism not due for repeat blood test until October. I wonder if I should request a full thyroid function as I know they only test the TSH usually, although not sure they would agree to full test if the tsh is within the range but that is a another story. Can any one help me with the B12 problem.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hypothyroidism can also cause Fibromyalgia kind of pain, B12 deficiency also can cause shoulder pain.

• Posted

Thank you Lucy48229. Hopefully my results will be back soon and I can find out what's happening. Thinking about it just before I was diagnosed with under active thyroid nearly 30 years ago I had bad shoulder pain same side. My aunt also had pernicious anaemia.

• Posted

HI, I know you haven't mentioned Cipro but I can tell you that it affects all of your systems, not just muscles and tendons. It can alter your endocrine system and is well known to interfere with the endocrine organs e.g. thyroid and pancreas - the MHRA issued an alert about Cipro increasing the danger of low or high blood sugar.

It can also play havoc with your gut and your vascular system - oh yes, it's very comprehensive! It causes so much damage because it actually interferes with the metabolism of every single cell - regardless of what that cell's job is. This is the bit that doctors just don't get, they expect it to only do what it says on the tin and that's to cause tendon damage. If you read the information leaflet it does list just about everything it can do but then it seems too much so most people (and doctors) ignore it.

Every cell needs a delicate balance of vitamins and minerals to do its job and the fluoroquinolones, of course, mess this balance up completely. So, yes, it's possible that this is the reason why your B12 is low. Other things will be low as well but they don't always show up on serum tests. A multimineral and an antioxidant are often helpful supplements to take.

Fibro is actually a very useful diagnosis as it doesn't need a 'cause'. If your doctor says it's possibly Fibro then at least you have a diagnosis as there isn't one of fluoroquinolone toxicity - yet. Just be careful of what pain killers you are advised to take (don't take NSAIDs e.g. Ibuprofen) and don't have steroid injections - these will make things much worse.

good luck!

• Posted

Hello Miriam I have spoke to you before and I have posted in the Ciprofloxacin forum at the same time as my post here.According to the consultant my B12 was low in either 2017/18 I did got take Ciprofloxacin until November 2018. We have only lived here 3 years this month.It is true my ibs has played up mainly due to stress I think. I have been on the Low

fodmap diet since March and there has been a good inprovement in symptoms. Am now reintroducing different foods to see if I react. It does take quite a a time but I think for most IBS sufferers it is worth it.

Thank you for reminding me about medications. I only take paracetamol and have avoided drugs like like Amitriptyline and know about not have steroid injections or tablets. Refused Tablets during a bad cold last year. Today I thought to my self I must get on and try and do things around the house and for the first time in ages I vacuumed throughout the house, a job my husband usually does. I feel tired now but not so achy as I usually do and in a much better mood. Don't know what tomorrow may bring hope I am not aching all over. Thanks or your interest.

• Posted

I hope tomorrow always brings a pain-free day! Anything that knocks you back seems to have a pattern where you feel better one day so you do extra things then you need two or so days to get over it all. I know very little about IBS but you sound as it you're getting on alright and making some progress,

take care and stay strong.

• Posted

Thank you for your kind words Miriam. I don't feel too bad today and in a good mood. Not doing a lot as the temperature is 29c way to hot for me but not as bad as London I think the weather lady said 34c. Tomorrow is is back to normal Summer weather. Yes I have made a lot of progress with IBS with the Low fodmap diet which is very complicated to begin with but easier once you get your head around it. I joined a forum for Low fodmap and was always asking questions or advice on this food or that or portion size. Still do now but not nearly as much but now I can answer questions from newbies to the forum and hopefully help. I am in the middle of reintroducing foods having completed the elimination stage. It is taking a time and I think it will be worth it.

This morning I received a letter from the rheumatology consultant. Confirming diagnosis of mild fibromyalgia but the main problem is arthritis. Could not make out from the letter whether she had looked at the xrays but no doubt my GP will let me know when I see her. The letter says that I have 12 of the 18 tender points and some features of mild fibro. Bloods test were reassuring no rheumatoid factor Thyroid haematology and biochemistry all normal, although I might just ask for the thyroid result was to make sure it has not changed up or down too much and not just in the normal levels. The B12 was 134 which is described as mildly reduced. I am going to ask about the Ranitidine that I have been taking for the gastritis for the last 18months. I hardly have symptoms now and have been thinking about slowly reducing the dose. I read that both PPI's and H2 blockers of which rantitidine is one can cause low Vit B levels. Both of these drugs seem to be given out more freely that they should. Anyway I will see the GP next week probably get a call on Monday.The letter says to discuss supplementation for the low B12. Thank you so much for taking the time to post. You input is much appreciated.

• Posted

I think if you haven't been having symptoms then it would be as well to start to wean off the ranitidine. You shouldn't just stop taking it as you body has got used to it over the last 18 months and it will take some time to adjust. I'm not a doctor and I don't know what your doc will say about this but I read that PPIs are not supposed to be taken permanently. They inhibit your proton pumps so they don't produce too much acid - but then the pumps will struggle to produce more acid to balance things up. If you just stop taking them you may find you have too much acid again.

I think your right about the B12 and it may be that they prevent you from absorbing other essential nutrients properly as well. PPIs are probably best avoided if at all possible (in my opinion!).

• Posted

Hello Miriam I totally agree with you. PPIs and H2 blockers like Ranitidine are only supposed to be used short term. I took a PPI some years ago and I weaned my self off them. I would not take them again knowing what they could do. Although H2 blockers are not as strong as PPIs as they only reduce acid not stop it. Never the less I am not happy taking them and hope I can wean my self off them. I know now that both types of drug can cause low B12 so will be speaking to my GP about this as my level is low according to blood test results. I have been thinking about all of this and also read that digestive problems and low B12 go hand in hand sometimes. I also read that some people think that it is not acid which causes problems but low acid. After all you need acid to digest meat I think I am correct in saying. We are learning new things all the time. I always say that there is a downside to all technology however good it may be and medicine is no exception.

Changing the subject My shoulder and arm were very painful yesterday. I think I am going to have to reduce the amount of time spent online. Actually I think the phone is worse than a laptop but will see if it helps. Best wishes to you and yours.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.