Possible Misdiagnoses?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Beginning of the year in 2017 I started having occasional pain in my abdomen, I had a CT scan done which showed and inflamed bowel. However the pain worsened and In June 2017 I had another CT scan which showed an inflamed appendix, the next day I had a laparoscopic appendectomy. Before surgery, the surgeon thought my appendix and ovary were connected, but when performing the laparoscopy he found there was excess tissue present at the bottom of my appendix. After surgery I kept having what we thought was urinary problems. Which presented itself as pressure in pelvic area. When looking into this problem there was a cyst in my right ovary, that became large and fluid filled. After a few months it went away on its own. A urologist noted that there was “excess tissue” which he suspected to be a septate uterus but he couldn’t confirm it and didn’t want to run any tests because I had been in and out of the hospital since my surgery. So that was put on the back burner for the time being. As time has passed these past few months since my surgery I’ve had severe bowel issues. Symptoms include painful bowel movements, constipation, diarrhea, severe abdominal pain, bloating, fatigue, etc. I had a colonoscopy where “altered bowel function was noted” and I was told I had IBS. During my period my symptoms from my “ibs” get extremely worse. I’m doubled over from severe abdominal pain, pain during bowel movement gets so bad I feel like I’m going to pass out, and I feel absolutely drained. I have been taking birth control since the cyst was found, which has since helped shorten and lighten my period. (Before starting birth control my periods were very heavy, and long.) Is it possible I could have been misdiagnosed with IBS and am dealing with bowel endometriosis? 

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Endometriosis is a womb disease; it does not start in the bowel. However  bits of womb lining can attach to your bowel and other organs.  The laparoscopy.you had showed excess tissue which may be from endometriosis. A laparoscopy is the only thing that confirms it.  

It is strange that both your surgeon and urologist saw excess tissue but can’t tell you whether or not it is endometriosis.  Heavy bleeding during and between periods, extreme abdominal pain and the presence of excess tissue are endometriosis symptoms.  Bowel habits can alter if the endos attach to your bowel.  Ask your doctor again if he thinks the laparoscopy confirms endometriosis.  I would have thought they could have had the tissue examined under a microscope to confirm whether it was womb tissue or not if there was any doubt.  If the urologist suspected the tissue to be uterine,  that would point to endometriosis.  What did he mean by septate uterus?

A cyst may have been responsible for your heavy and long periods.  They can disrupt your cycle.

IBS can cause your periods to be much more painful and periods can make your IBS worse.  I have experienced this at the beginning of my IBS.  I panicked about a cyst or endometriosis but my doctor ruled both out because my periods were normal and continue to be so.

To be honest, I think you need further tests done and perhaps you need to see a different doctor to get a second opinion.

• Posted

I forgot to add that endometriosis can be misdiagnosed as IBS if you have bowel symptoms with it.
    • Posted

Just to keep you updated I’m still having the daily pain, as well as the worsened excruciating pain before my period that leaves me feeling sick, weak, and drained. On April 11th my obgyn will be doing a exploratory laparoscopy, hysteroscopy, and he will also be checking the inside of my bladder.  He suspects I may have endometriosis, and right now I am desperately praying for relief from this pain I’ve been experiencing for the past year. 
    • Posted

I’m 2 days post op, turns out tissue formed around my left ovary and attached it to my uterus. The surgeon also found mild endometriosis. They’re sending the removed tissue to be biopsied. He thinks that both discoveries were what was causing my daily and worsening pain. I’m due to go back and see the doctor in 2 weeks to talk about my surgery as well as what comes next. 🙂

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.