Possible MUA after 15 weeks, positive outcome? Advice please.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was hoping to avoid it but after 15 weeks post-TKR my physio is recommending to my consultant that he considers a MUA on my knee.  I have been battling with ROM the whole time and I’m still only at 100 degrees.  I’m only 50 and after much discussion for quality of life for me she thinks an MUA is the only option. Advice please. Does anyone have experience of having it done so late?  Positive outcome or not? Thanks. 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sharon I wish i could help you but i don’t know enough i’m 4 weeks post op now and haven’t even seen any PT.

I do not even know how you measure the rate of the bend etc

I’m sure you will get some answers 

Good Luck

Julie x

• Posted

Hi Sharon, I am so sorry to hear this. I am also 50 and 9 weeks post op and just got to 103, I thought ( assumed) that if you get over 100 then MUA is not needed. 
    • Posted

I thought that too, if I was 70:80 it would be ok but at 50, prefer to have a better quality of life.
  • Posted

Let me know what the surgeon says but I thought this had to be done within 4 weeks post op but could be wrong. My surgeon said anything above 95 bend ok but I though that was a bit low. Maybe as you are young.Keep up the exercise religiously !

All the best

Jan

• Posted

Not according to physio but that was why I was after some answers on here.  I thought that too, if I was 70:80 it would be ok but at 50, prefer to have a better quality of life.
    • Posted

I'm 48 I saw my consultant last week, I could only bend it 90 degrees but I told him I have had it better but it was swollen at the time. They seem happy with 90 degrees so MUA wasn't advised. As long as I can ride my bike and motorbike I'm happy, my knee doesn't have to bend more than 100 degrees so I'm not going to torture myself getting there. I rode my bike 2.5 miles the other day it was really painful but I believe it will get better over time

• Posted

I guess I’ll find out if I get to see the consultant but why should we settle for not full range when we can  get 20 or so degrees further?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.