Possible neuropathy

Posted , 1 user is following.

*first time posting anywhere sorry for long winded post...

I am writing this in the hope of finding advice, support or solutions to my current situation as I feel my current symptoms are now at a point, that my life is completely on hold and most daily living tasks are extremely difficult, I feel after 9 months I am no further forward to finding out what is going on with me. I am waiting on an MRI in the next few weeks and hope this will provide some answers, but feel other than this hope there is no plan of action to explore what is going on with me.My doctor has referred me to neurology and I feel just close me down when I call, neurology arranged the MRI but after waiting 6 months to be seen(once), I feel like I was in and out without really exploring many of my symptoms. I have recently received a letter with an appointment to review my symptoms, which rather disappointedly is dated for March next year (2022). I appreciate the strain on the NHS and have family who work as nurses so appreciate the delays and current busyness of services due to COVID, however I feel I am getting no closer to finding out what is happening to me and my daily life is becoming more difficult and most of the time unmanageable.

I am a 32 year old female, who works part time in a demanding public service job which involves driving an hour to my work as well as driving, typing and visiting service users throughout the day. I am also an active busy mum of 2 (kids 9 and 3), my partner works 7 days a week so I have limited support at home. In the last 9 months I have gone from my normal busy full life to now struggling to get out of bed or being able to play with my kids or clean my house. I feel like this is now taking a huge role on my metal health and relationships.

My symptoms started in October 2020 which included occasional numbness in my fingers and toes, periods of balance and grip problems and fatigue, fast toward to July 2021 and my hands and feet are completely numb 95% of the time, my fine motor skills in my fingers are non existent, I struggle to open wrappers, bottles or peg my washing. My grip and strength in my hands and feet are minimal I can’t hold a coffee cup or Phone for longer than 5 minutes without it seeming too heavy. Holding a hairdryer or anything heavier for longer than a few moments is in possible. I struggle to even lift my toddler and if hold him at all for any length of time my hands/arms feel staved and strained for days. Steering a shopping trolley is impossible and after 20 minutes of driving or using my hands, they are completely numb and I have no grip at all.

I also find if I use my hands or feet for longer than the 15minutes they stiffen up and stop working/responding, for example after cleaning my windows my fingers don’t respond to movement for a short time after.

My energy levels are so low I struggle to get out of bed, I can’t play with my children or enjoy any exercise, my housework is even too much for me, after one task I feel drained and need to rest. I am normally the opposite of this, I was always out being active or creative with my kids and anyone who knows me, know I usually don’t sit down.

My balance/coordination is terrible and when walking after 15 minutes my legs are completely numb and jelly-like, meaning sometimes I have to almost drag my legs. I find I trip and fall especially when the terrain changes around me for example, (grass to road or stones). I find my numbness throughout the night and in the morning is at its worse and as a result I have even fell down the stairs.

I know there could be many causes for the above symptoms and although initially I did not want to ‘google’ my symptoms, I have been researching possible causes and I know this is abit of a minefield, I am keeping an open mind and also know the doctors are the experts . However I am in desperate need to find out what is going on, in the hope of resuming my normal life. I welcome any advice or support you can offer.

Thankyou

Jennifer

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.