Possible Osteoporosis and Fractured Spine

Posted , 8 users are following.

hi all, a bit worried about this one as I went to see my gp because of a curve at the top of my spine and discomfort in my upper back and neck area. So she agreed there was a curve and is querying whether I may have a compression fracture because of the appearance of my upper spine. I've been for an xray been referred to a spine clinic and also had blood tests done. So obviously I have to do follow up to discover if it is, as she suspects it might be, osteoporosis.

So the worry is what can they do if my spine is in fact fractured? I hope it's not the case. But if it is and it's old I am not sure what they can do with that. Any advice? Anyone else had a similar experience? thanks

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

If you find it's either an old fracture and no treatment needed or possible, or if there is no actual fracture, you can work on reversing the kyphosis. My physiotherapist got me to buy one of those big foam exercise rollers and I'm supposed to lie on it for a fair amount of time each day (afraid I only do a couple of minutes, part of my exercise regime) with the roller crossways under my should blades, and supporting my head with my hands, to avoid stressing the neck too much. The other thing is to take up Nordic walking. A friend of mine had actually become completely doubled over. With walking poles she is able to stand upright. She was a star pupil with the instructor because although she's unable to use the poles quite the correct way she did learn, and has benefited.

• Posted

hi yes I do nordic walking already and it is very good for my lower back particularly. It has helped back pain immensely. I have a prolapse disc in my lower back.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.