Possible pancreatitis. Please help!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hey everyone. In a bit of a bind here.

24 years old here, moderate drinker. Only beer though, never drink liquor.

About 3 weeks ago, i began experiencing a dull, constant ache in my upper abdomen, that was especially pronounced after eating. It wasn't excruciating, but after a few days, it was enough to make me take a visit to my doctor.

After some blood tests were ran (4 days after my initial pain started), my Lipase level was slightly elevated (60, with 46 being the upper limit). I had an ultrasound done as well, which came back as fine.

My doctor was quick to suggest Acute pancreatitis, and told me i could be admitted to the hospital for a few days until it clears up.

Since I didn't really feel THAT bad, I did some research and decided to just take it easy for a few days and to avoid fatty foods. A week after my initial blood test I had another done, which returned normal lipase levels. I spoke briefly with another doctor (I work at a hospital) and he didn't think my initial test results were that bad; he said that the Lipase levels had to be 3x the upper limit in order for pancreatitis to be diagnosed.

Even though the pain wasn't totally gone I thought I was in the clear, so I began eating normally again, while avoiding alcohol and fatty foods. The pain has persisted, but to a lesser degree, and now three weeks after, I still have a dull ache in my middle to upper abdomen. It isn't constant, and seems to come on about an hour after eating. Some days I feel fine for most of the day.

Also, although i have tested negative for H Pylori, I have a suspicion that this could even be a stomach ulcer, or something not even pancreas related even though my lipase levels were slightly elevated on my first blood test

I am not asking for a diagnosis, but to those of you with a confirmed diagnosis of either type of pancreatitis: Does this sound familiar to you? Did your case start like this and progressively get worse? 

From what i've read, My case seems to sound more like CP rather than AP; but I have never had an AP attack before this.

Help would be appreciated!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Your pain sounds like mine. I've had it for about 4 years now. They told me they thought I had CP, but now say they think I have IBS. My symptoms are more like CP, though, I think. I've stopped all alcohol even though I was a one drink a day drinker and I now eat very low fat. I did have a month long bout with diarrhea about a year and a half ago so they put me on Creon for about 9 months. I still have the pain in my upper abdomen though no matter what I eat. I was on Prilosec for about 20 years for acid reflux and I can't help but think that that may have given me this problem. I'd advise you to watch your diet, eat very naturally, don't smoke and give up alcohol, I think even a little is too much for some of us.

• Posted

Have you tried Ranatidine? I have been taking it before my meals, and it seems to have helped ease the symptoms I've been experiencing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.