Possible pancreatitis?? Really need some advice...

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi everyone,

About 3 months ago I had a burning/gnawing pain in my upper abdomen that was building up slowly in intensity. About 15 minutes into it i had severe diarrhea and vomiting and shortly after i felt fine and went to bed. About a week after that i experienced a similar situation....abdominal pain/slow burn followed by diarrhea and vomiting...about an hr later, i was fine. I called the dr after this second instance and he thought it was a bug. Fast forward another week and i had a similar situation (I had 2 beers this Friday night). This time i went to the ER as i knew something was up. bloodwork had my lipase levels at a little under double the upper limit. Also did an ultrasound, but couldn't see the pancreas due to gas. Ive had 2 other attacks since then...diarrhea, vomiting and then feel fine after about an hour or two.

Since my hospital visit, I've had a CT, MRCP, HIDA scan, and blood drawn 4 times all have come back normal, however the MRCP did show possible wall thickening of the small bowel.

since my hospital visit (3rd supposed attack) I've cleaned up my diet (chicken, fish, farro, overnight oats, fruits and vegs). As far as drinking goes, I'm a social drinker that goes out friday for 3 or 4 beers, however I haven't had a drop since the ER, but still had 2 episodes.

A couple of other things:

1. these "attacks" have happened either at 11 (ish) pm or 6 am.
  2. I've had bloating and dull pain that moves around in my upper abdomen and has traveled to my back on a couple of instances.
  3. I've noticed that my stools have been floating occasionally with air bubbles coming out. Also noticed mucus on my stool as well this week. color and consistency seem ok.

My Dr seems to think it is not pancreatitis while my gastro hasn't been able to say for sure.Going for a 2nd opinion in 2 weeks.

Does pancreatitis pain only last for a couple of hours during a flare up?

Can other gastro issues slightly raise lipase levels? My Dr says absolutely...?

Completely terrified and would love to hear from all of you that have first hand experience with this beast.

Thank you in advance!

TR

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

i have chronic pancreatitis and my stools have never been a symptom. Also, the pain is not a burning sensation, its more of a "someone kicked me in the stomach and the pain doesnt subside (i hate having to describe that kind of pain to nurses and doctors. When you have a flare, its 2-3 weeks as long as you go without food and water orally for the 1st few days and are living on iv fluids at the hospital. the pain is absolutely the worst of my life including child birth. Also, liapase levels are a terrible indicator.

• Posted

i would go see gastro anyway, it could be ibs or something with your liver, either way you need a ct

• Posted

i have chronic pancreatitis and my stools have never been a symptom. Also, the pain is not a burning sensation, its more of a "someone kicked me in the stomach and the pain doesnt subside (i hate having to describe that kind of pain to nurses and doctors. When you have a flare, its 2-3 weeks as long as you go without food and water orally for the 1st few days and are living on iv fluids at the hospital. the pain is absolutely the worst of my life including child birth. Also, liapase levels are a terrible indicator.

• Posted

Can you be more specific about this: "bloodwork had my lipase levels at a little under double the upper limit." What number was it? (I've been over 12,000 before, for reference.)

The symptom progression doesn't match my CP experience, but seems GERD-like. For me, once the pain and vomiting start, it's full-on attack and it takes a week to calm down, and 3 to feel normal-weight. My symptoms are 24/7, e.g. not tied to bedtime / laying down. That typically points to GERD.

Gas may be the result of your body trying to adjust hard fibers (apples, uncooked veggies, any beans). Try making the diet softer -- high protein, low fat, easily digested.

Do antacids help? I mean Nexium, etc., not TUMS.

Lipase is indeed a key indicator for pancreatitis, but it can be a bit fuzzy. You'd have other symptoms like rib pain and uncontrollable vomiting and diarrhea in an episode if your lipase was super high. I'm not sure if lipase "pops" for other gastrointestinal issues.

Try the diet change, ask about GERD, and try eating and living as though you already do have pancreatitis. It can't hurt. And monitor your situation for any changes. There's always trial and error involved.

My two cents.

Feel better!

• Posted

lipase is not a good indicator for chronic pancreatitis, only acute.

• Posted

You are correct. It is only for acute, and even then it's just a guideline. But a good guideline for acute cases. It can drop rapidly, even if the pancreas is still causing pain days, weeks, or months later.

• Posted

i just wish ER Docs knew this so chronic patients were taken more seriously in areas where gastro consults aren't available 24 hours a day. That's been a huge frustration for me.

• Posted

Sorry to say, but it's our job to educate them. I'm tempted to type up a sheet of FAQs for them. Unless they interned in gastroenterology, they are probably 10 years behind the curve.

• Posted

I meant normal-ish, not normal-weight.

And yes, the pain feels like being kicked repeatedly by steel-toed boots in a mosh pit. It's brutal and you will never mistake it for anything other than a full-on crisis.

• Posted

appreciate the reply! To clarify my lipase level was 480 with the upper limit on the the test being 280.

I should also mention that i do have reflux, but havent had the need to take ant tums since doing a 180 with my diet. I've lost 15 lbs, but i do attribute that to my gym routine and very clean diet (40 yr old male 5'6 at 182 lbs currently).

I find it odd that the pain only lasts about an hour and proceed with my day after that. I do however feel gassy and bloated for 24 hrs after that. This past Monday, I had another attack at 11 pm-watery diarrhea, vomited and went back to bed by 12:30. next day i was bloated and very gassy, but i did eat my overnight oats for bfast and chicken for lunch with no pain. By Wed i had no pain.

At a loss as to what this is or what is triggering it as ive been pretty consistent with my diet.

• Posted

I had very similar symptoms and triggers for about a year. All my tests came back normal too so I'm basically left with doctors telling me it's stress related and just throw it under things like IBS. Usually mine would resolve in a few hours but this last time had led to me feeling weak and fatigued for weeks. Trying to make some lifestyle changes and diet changes which has helped. Good luck!

• Posted

hi all,

just an update. had my physical this morning and received my bloodwork results back. lipase levels in normal range. interestingly my THs levels were very high-5.66 (range from .34-4.5). They told me I have hypothyroidism and that could very well affect the gut as well as cholesterol, which came back high as well. Interesting!!

Now I'm wondering if i was misdiagnosed when i was in the ER.

All the symptoms I've been experiencing is lining up with everything I'm reading on hypothyroidism and the effect it could have on the digestive system.

thoughts or anyone with a similar experience??

TR

• Posted

Your lipase isn't terrible. Many of us with chronic pancreatitis range into the thousands. I've been above 12000 in the past.

Sounds like you're doing the right things. Stay away from alcohol and see about investigating further. But in my opinion, it's not pancreatitis...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.