Possible Patella Fracture?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there, Lauren here. I was playing in a high school basketball game two days ago when I was tripped and went airborne, eventually landing extremely hard on my left kneecap. The game paused and everyone was concerned, but I nervously and quickly stood up and played on. I fall in almost every game going for loose balls and steals. I've hit my knees hard many times this season and over the years of playing. But the pain has never been this bad. After falling, my kneecap swelled up immediately. I played the rest of the game with difficulty, pain, and a limp. The next day, my knee was immensely swollen and red and beginning to bruise. I limped around at the school and ended up having to sit out at the end of my practice because I am so slow and am moving with so much difficulty. My kneecap is extremely tender to touch, the feel of my sweatpants rubbing against it hurts so much. The kneecap hurts when I'm just laying down. When I limp, I keep my leg straight because I cannot bear to bend it. My mom is concerned, but my dad seems to think it's just a "bone bruise". I've had bruise knees since I started playing organized basketball at age 6, and I've really never felt such immense pain in one of my knees. Is it possible that I could have fractured my patella? Wondering if I should be getting X-Rays... Thanks all. PS - I've tried icing and Advil, still hurts and looks horribly.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Getting down/up the stairs, getting into the car, going to sit down, and getting in the shower is a nightmare.
  • Posted

I never messed around when my kids were hurt during sports. We had injuries from ice hockey, baseball and skating. Some were simple bruises, but we did have a hockey fracture that needed emergency treatment. And once a skate boarding pelvic fracture. That said, I would definitely get you to an orthopedic doctor, insist on X-rays. Maybe nothing wrong, but it should be checked out. Tell your mom to read this. Meantime, elevate and ice. Let us know what happens.
  • Posted

Hi Lauren so sorry to hear about your knee.

I would really get it checked out, dont leave it as long as i have (3 weeks on Tuesday).You should always get knees checked out especially if you play sport.

Hope this helps and you get it sorted out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.