Possible pe

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been experiencing shortness of breath, random rapid heart rate for over a month. My doctor ordered an echo that was negative. I do have mild mitral regurgitation. An EKG came back with abnormalities. D- diner test slightly elevated. I saw a cardiologist and he said my EKG coulde normal to me, although I never had an abnormal one in the past. He ordered a stress test which was normal. I am 57 years old and menopausal. I've been getting slight chest pains too. I al6have high blood pressure. Last night I started getting pains in the back right side of my chest. I'm not always short of breath. Could this be a pe?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

To be sure you would need a ct scan with contrast. I'd go to the er or if your in the UK whatever your emergency is like a&e and tell them your symptoms and they should do one.

• Posted

I have had a couple times having shortness of breath as well as DVT in my calf and behind my knee. Had Ct of the chest with contrast showing multiply clots redone the ct of chest after 6 mos showed negative so I went of Eliquist and 2 weeks later was having breathing prob again. did ct again and sure enough had clotts again so now I'm on Eliquist for the remaining of my time. I would ask to get a Ct to be sure. Just FYI

• Posted

As they t hought it was from a back surgery I had two months before but have ruled that out so looking to see if this may be genentic disorder.
  • Posted

Hi,

?As you are menopausal it could be a number of things, My advice to you is when you get your chest pain  go straight to emergency department. Menopausal women are a lot more susceptible to many conditions , I.E heart attacks, strokes,  etc etc. Sorry I can't give you some kind of answer for a PE and menopause being one of your conditions, one wouldn't think so because of the lack of periods, ladies that bleed heavily with their periods are susceptible to PE's, perhaps the lack of the chemicals in menopausal women could be a factor to getting PE's, best discuss this with your doctor(s).

D-dimer blood test isn't really accurate unless the number is extremely high, other conditions can raise a D-dimer blood test as well, but generally the higher the number the easier it is for a doctor to make a reasonable diagnosis and order as soon as possible a contrast CT scan to complete his/her diagnosis.

• Posted

Best to go a and e and have it properly checked out

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.