Possible RA and Hiatus Hernia/reflux

Posted , 5 users are following.

Finally I have been referred to a consultant having gone to the doctor back in August with painful wrist and big toes.  Now all my hands and knuckles constantly ache and my ring finger is bending upwards and so painful plus every othe joint seems to want to join the party.  Thankfully 59 days to see someone in Nottingham area which thesedays isnt that bad.

My question is I have acid reflux from a small hiatus hernia and many medicines aggrevate this.  I did try Naproxen and this was dreadful within 24 hours I was very ill.  Seem ok with standard Ibruprophon  Paracetomol etc.

Does anyone else have a hiatus hernia and if so which drugs should I avoid 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Linda,

I'm wondering if you take anything for the hiatus hernia?  I take Lansoprazol 30mg first thing of a morning and have to double the dose if I take strong painkillers or Ibuprofen.  I am allergic to quite a few meds unfortunately and Naproxin is one of them.  I hope when you see the Rheumatologist, they can help ease your pain a little.  

• Posted

Hello Linda,

Sorry to hear about your health issues. Any one of the three is bad enough without having them together. I do not have a hernia as you do, but I have had reflex since 1993. What a pain this stuff can be.

When I first began Methotrexate, I was taking the pill form. This caused a lost of gastrointestinal issues, so I switch to the injection form. If your doctor puts you on Methotrexate, you might want to consider going straight to the injection version instead of the pills.

In general though, with reflux you will want to avoid drinking orange juice or eating oranges, as these both tend to aggravate the reflux issues.

That's all I have, hope it helps.

Don

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.