Possible RA diagnosis!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello, I'm after some advice!

For the past 4 mths I have had continuous pain mostly in my knees,elbow and in my finger on my right hand. I have stiffness in the morning or after long periods in the same position. Moving around helps ease the pain. I have a blood test booked for Friday but today I've woken up and my knees feel better, as the day has gone on they have begun to ache again but I'm a little confused. Does this mean that it RA is now not a possibility?

Thank you for reading.

Louise.

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

This is a funny old thing...I too have had 4 months of pain, mine is both shoulders, arms and neck, came on very suddenly......turns out this could be Reiters Syndrome (Reactive Arthritis) brought on by the flu virus last November (same thing happened to me 19 years ago, again after the Flu, but didn't last anywhere near as long and was all limb joints) I've had bloods taken too to check for Rhumatoid Arthritis, still waiting on the results......it's still worth getting the bloods done, even though your knees are ok today 

• Posted

I have psorasis arthritis, or so the speicalist tells me, I have had psorasis my entire life and had never heard of it, until she said you have got this type of arthirits, but genetic test in my case comes back negative, also negative for RA.

A symptom is stiffness of joints especially in the morning and or when you have been resting, psorasis on skin, ESR (blood test) and CRP (blood test) elevated.

To all intents and purposes treated as RA, same drugs.

I have now had it 12 years or so, not a lot better, but no worse either, drugs are holding me steady.

• Posted

Hi Louise,

When I developed my RA, I also was confused that I would feel bad in the morning and better as the day wore on.  From what I understand, this is typical of RA symptoms.  I waited about 2 months before seeing the Dr., looks like you've waited quite a while.  When symptoms have gone on this long, it's good you are getting things checked out.  I hope that you do not have a chronic condition.  Best of luck to you.

• Posted

Hey thank you for your replies.

I had a blood test on Friday, so now I just have to wait for the results. My one day of respite was short lived and back to my normal level of pain. In fact maybe more as my wrists and fingers seem to now be achy and painful. I just won't to know either way really so that I can move forward. I'm really bad with anti- inflammatory medication and even with stomachs protectives I still get a sore tummy after 2-3 days. So have to keep having a break. Now started taking some herbal medication;Tumuric and devils claw gel. So my main question to my doctor will be to sort my pain out weather is RA or something else.

Louise.

• Posted

You sound exactly like me...I can't take NSAIDS due to skin and stomach reactions and I thought I was gone die when I was prescribed Tramadol, sweating profusely, shaking and vomiting, I take co-codamol 30/500 and it's doing nothing for me now (sigh).......I've just ordered Formica Ruta, a homeopathic remedy, that seems to fit in with my symptoms, I'll give anything a shot......funnily enough my dogs are treated herbally and one of them is on a combination of Ashwaganda, Gotu Cola, Nettle and Prickly Ash for bilateral Hip dysplasia and it's worked wonders with him, I might try it myself....you get to the point where you'll try anything!!.......it really gets you down though doesn't it!...im 44 and feel 84! 

• Posted

It is a complete pain in the backside lol! I tooled narproxin and ended up not being able to eat for 4 days due to my tummy reacting so badly. Its never simple is it! Can I ask, how long from your blood test to getting the results? I have a doctors appointment on the 4th April. Not sure I can wait that long. Its really beginning to get me down. I start the day trying to be positive and keep a smile on my face but by the evening im so fed up and tearful. The not knowing is scary, the thought of what it could or couldn't be. But just wanting to be diagnosed so that I can get the correct treatment and hopefully be out of all this pain would be a great start. Sorry for my ramble. Just off loading a little.

• Posted

I had bloods done on the 15th, haven't had the results yet, but at the GP this Wednesday so will find out then.....nothing wrong with offloading...it helps to know there are others going through the same thing xx

• Posted

Hi Louise,

I live in the US, so if you are in the UK lab times may be different, but when my first set of labs were done it took maybe 5 business days for my family Dr. to get results.  Unfortunately those results were inconclusive for her, and another round was ordered, so another week or so.  Again, inconclusive. As my symptoms were worsening, she agreed to refer me to a rheumatologist. If you have not yet been evaluated by a rheumatologist, you unfortunately should not begin any treatment.  A rheumatologist will question you in depth and do a physical examination, and in my case ordered another round of blood tests.  After this exam, the rheumatologist prescribed prednisone, which is a miracle;  I felt better within hours.  He received the bloodwork results within a couple of days, and was able to phone me with a diagnosis and start me on Methotrexate the same day. I am so sorry you are feeling so unwell.  I know for me, I felt compelled to calmly express to the general practitioner that I was feeling quite ill despite appearing fine. If you have not yet seen a rheumatologist, I would suggest calling your doctor's office and reminding them that you have had your symptoms for 4 months and that you are feeling very unwell.  Perhaps they can help speed the process.  One of the criteria for RA is that symptoms must have persisted for at least 6 weeks, and it sounds like you have exceeded that.  One last thing, in my case my first round of blood work had a rheumatiod factor in the normal range.  This threw my GP off the scent.  Although the RF was slightly into the abnormal range by the time I saw the rheumatologist, rheumatoid factor is not a definitive marker for a disorder. I hope you get some answers, and can feel better soon. Take care, keep us posted.

• Posted

Hi, RA tends to be symmetrical, mine started about 15 years ago, started middle finger right hand, next, same finger in my left hand, right wrist then left wrist, one foot then the other, and so on, diagnosed with blood tests and x-rays and expert opinion, blood test showed no rheumatoid factor, my RA is seronegative, before diagnosis I was given Naproxen, after diagnosis put on Sulfasalazine, now 15 years later looking to put me on Biologics due to it getting worse for the last year, this is pretty much my story, hope you get sorted out.
  • Posted

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply! Appreciate it very much. So good to talk to people who understand how I'm feeling. Will keep you all posted and will cross my fingers I get the results soon x

• Posted

So I have been to the doctors today and all blood tests are normal. So now I feel like I'm

Making all these symptoms up and making a mountain out of a mole hill. He has given me stronger painkillers and will refer me to a rheumatologist. I just feel so down about it all.

• Posted

Hi Louise....exact same thing has just happened to me last week.....I sat and cried when I got the results....like you, I thought "what the heck do I do now".....I have done some reading though, and the tests apparently aren't always conclusive....I'm waiting for a referral also....it's horrible, especially when bloods come back as nothing showing xxx

• Posted

So today I went to see the consultant. He poked and prodded and I really was amazed at how much of my body hurt!

He didn't say much as to what he thought it could be but order a few tests.

MRI on my right knee

Bone scan

And took bloods.

Are these standard tests?

Feel like I've been through a hedge backwards after the appointment lol!

Louise.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.