Possible Raynauds

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi there I have been having intermittent pain in both arms but mostly the left arm. The arm feels tight and then goes cold. There is sometimes a numbness and tingling. Occasionally my legs go numb up to my knees. I constantly feel cold but my hands are the worst. Now they are starting to get painful. They go red up to the knuckle then the rest of my finger is white. I had the blood test for Raynauds a while ago but it was inconclusive so I saw a Rhumatologist who said I was fine. Does anyone know if this sounds like Raynauds and would it cause me to feel cold all the time.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sharon. Sorry to hear you are having these issues. Raynaud's could be the cause of some of the symptoms you describe. The white fingers and constantly feeling cold are certainly on the list of Raynaud's Disease. I can't say about your arms and legs as I have not heard of these areas being affected. I am not ruling them out though.

Raynaud's disease causes smaller arteries that supply blood flow to the skin to narrow in response to cold or stress. The affected body parts, usually fingers and toes, might turn white or blue and feel cold and numb until circulation improves, usually when you get warm.

Although Raynaud's most commonly affects your fingers and toes, it can also affect other areas of your body, such as your nose, lips, ears and even nipples. After warming, it can take 15 minutes for normal blood flow to return to the area.

From what I know it is usually the extremities as listed above that are affected. 

However...

You need answers and to get them you must go back to see your GP / MD and insist on further investigation, or go to another medical professional to give you a second opinion. Have you done the Ice bowl test. Put ice and cold water in a bowl. Dip your hands in and record how long it takes to have an affect. Film it if you can and take it with you to appointments.

Many Doctors see Raynaud's and say, Not life threatening, not serious unless it gets to stage three. You have to push. Ask if you can have medication which can help to open up the Capillaries, allowing more blood to the area. When the capillaries close up it is a reaction to the cold. No blood the finger turns White.

I hope I may have given you hope regarding what to do next. Please stay in touch and let me know how you progress. I sincerely empathise with you regarding the worry and affect of feeling cold. I now wear thermals throughout the winter and even into springtime. Not very flattering but they help me maintain my body temperature. You can get them in ladies styles.

Best wishes to you Sharon.

Eric Mager

• Posted

HI Eric

Thank you for your reply. I wasn’t sure if my whole body constantly feeling cold was one of the symptoms. Like you I have to wear thermals as I feel the cold too much. 

My GP wanted to prescribe a Vasolialator but I am having problems with my Blood Pressure dropping and this medication could cause it to drop further. My GP is trying to figure out if there is anything he can prescribe..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.