Possible reason for R.L.S

Posted , 6 users are following.

We are led to believe that the reason for R.L.S is a medical condition, but my experience through being a Coeliac sufferer leads me to a different outlook. It took nearly 2 years to diagnose it back in the day, now it is quicker. I was on the right track for self diagnoses but never quite made it, Why because I did not persevere long enough, I have found my "CURE" to my R.L.S by trial and error through perseverance.  I am convinced that what we eat causes the condition, How committed are you to find a cure, Try for one week going on the smallest basic diet, water, possibly banana, some greens, no medication relating to R.L.S. You may think I am stupid but a friend of my almost died self diagnosing for Coeliac condition by living on the staff of life Bread and water. not knowing it was the bread that was the enemy. So know thine enemy, give it a week if no symptoms show re-introduce food very very slowly, this method cost you nothing but a little weight loss how many other treatments offer that   

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi there! 

I have no reason to doubt what you are saying about food and RLS. 

However there was a programme on television the other night regarding RLS sufferers which I was unable to see at the time however I believe the doctor doctor on the programme was suggesting that:

1. It maybe caused by an iron deficiency

2. The doctor suggested that if you are a sufferer then you should have your thyroid checked out.

3. You should also have your kidneys checked.

I am going to make an appointment with my doctor to have these tests done.

I’ll keep you posted........ depending on how soon I can get an appointment and how long it takes to have the tests done and get the results! 

• Posted

Hey there Sashalou, my doctor did and continues to perform both of these tests on me (as well as many others). Both are normal. I tried to explain to both of my physicians that I needed a dopamine uptake inhibitor. After a year and a half of a vast array of medication which not only did not work but made it worse, I was sent to a neurologist. HARK, I was put on pramipexole (Mirapex), which is a dopamine uptake inhibitor, IT WORKED!

• Posted

Sashalou. I look forward to hearing how you get on with your Dr. I asked my Dr and he said my iron was fine and suggested I take medication
    • Posted

I already use Neupro Rotigotine 24hr patches which have been a life saver- but if there is medical reason concerning iron/throid/ kidneys I’d really  like to know. I have appointment with my Doctor on Thursday- I’ll keep you posted. 
  • Posted

Hi Victor, I wish to know how this diet works for you. All that I have done research on and learned is that you don't produce enough dopamine. I am now on a dopamine uptake inhibitor (pramipexole) and no longer suffer. I hope that you find something that will give you relief.

• Posted

Hi Glenn

i looked at every meal I ate prior to going to  bed from 6 o clock, this included drinks, by a process of elimination I omitted those that at first appeared to contribute to the condition, also another factor that plays a big part is constipation, I make sure I never go more than 2 days without bowel movement, I personally believe that a part of the bowel or digestive system has become over sensitised after time, that it needs a "cooling off period" in which to settle down, omission of the "trigger " for  several days allows this to occur.

?While I was being diagnosed for my COELIAC condition I was told I was lacking in iron, this was untrue, it  was found to be my inability to process it, not a lack of it, once the condition was discovered my iron levels became normal.

I hope this helps  

• Posted

Hey Victor, glad that all is working out for you. I wish you well, God's peace, Glenn

• Posted

I 100% agree with your findings, we are told that RLS is a neurologic disorder but my experience tells me different.

I have by accident 'cured' my RLS I always knew it was related to my diet as certain  foods made my  legs worse.  I  am now a firm believer it is diet and vitamins that are the cause. I have suffered with RLS all my adult life getting progressively worse with age.   A couple of Christmas ago I was left with some large bags of salted peanuts, so every evening I helped my self to some rather large handfuls, after about 5 night I realised that my legs were not aching as much, over the course of the following few weeks my legs stopped aching. I started to do some research and found that peanuts are very high in magnesium when I delved into this,  magnesium deficiency

causes you muscles to ache and also salt deficiency can have the same result. We are constantly told to reduce our salt intake but nobody tells you that to little is just as bad, I have just had my blood pressure taken 123/70  (I'm 67) so no add verse affect from increasing my salt intake. I now take two calcium/magnesium tablets per day plus my handful of peanuts and my RLS is 'cured'  I still watch my diet as I have found something's  can still cause some mild aching (beef & pork affect me)    Apparently as we aged, especially women due to the menopause we can loose up to 80% of magnesium, we think we are getting it from our food but our bodies are not absorbing it. It feels like a magical after all these years to go to bed and not worry about aching legs.

I know some people will be sceptical but for me its be a life changer.   

• Posted

Hi Diane, that is wonderful that you have found relief. I wish continued success in your diet.

My RLS never created pain, it was strictly restless legs, not sure if we actually suffer from the same thing. God bless, Glenn

• Posted

good evening Diane

​It is so nice to hear from someone who is not dieting on a range of horrendous sounding medication, reading of the medication some doctors are prescribing gives me the shudders, most of which I personally have never heard of, most of them do not appear to give total satisfaction.

​We live today on food that have had so much processing it is no wonder our bodies say enough is enough.

​When I was diagnosed with Coeliac I lived mainly on a fresh and unprocessed diet because there was very little about that did not contain wheat ,packaging was not labelled so much as today, Even today I eat very little processed foods, mainly salads etc. I think my sensitivity came from when I first developed Coeliac, it has stayed with me ever since, I am 80 years of age, Those unfortunate to be suffering should look to their diet and leave medication on the shelf unless it can be shown to be a deficiency as you have done. 

Take care God bless

• Posted

I discovered that caffeine always brings on rls. Also diphenhydramine, found in Benedryl. I take magnesium but the peanuts sound great! My son in law told me he takes midol, no caffeine, for rls. I don't know why it works but it stops it in 15 min. I'm going to try some other suggestions as I'd rather not have it at all!

• Posted

Linda, the midol thing is very interesting, please keep everyone posted. I agree with the caffeine and antihistamine. My doctors shoved antihistamines and antidepressants down me to try to force me to sleep.

My neurologist then told me that these are the worst two things that you can do.

Now that all is good with me, if I need help falling asleep, I will take Dramamine (motion sickness med).

Best to you and God be with you, Glenn

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.