Possible relief from migraine using antihistamine tablets

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, not sure if I've accidently found something that works or if it's a coincidence so would be grateful if any others out there have found antihistamine tablets helpful in reducing migraine attacks. About 3 weeks ago I got savaged by a horse fly and have been on piriton ever since, in this time I haven't had a migraine having had 1 - 2 a week previously. I managed to get bitten again yesterday, despite super strength jungle formula, and only then did a migraine occur. Not sure if the link is due to histamine levels in the body or simply the tablets calming brain excitability. Any one else noticed improvement having taken allergy remedies?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Anne, the preventative medication I am on is Pizotifen which is in the antihistamine group, so it is possible that the antihistamines you have taken could have reduced your migraines. Since being on Pizotifen I have had no hay fever symptoms or itching which I used to get a lot. Unfortunately, I can't say that it has stopped my migraines completely yet, still trying out different doses.

• Posted

Thanks Kath, wasn't sure if it was just a coincidence. I'll keep on with the piriton for a while longer as insect life around here seems to regard me as an all you can eat buffet. If it looks like there's a real reduction in the long term I'll get in touch with my doctor and see if I can get something on prescription like Pizotifen as I've had a bad experience trying propranolol and was reluctant to try medication again. Anne X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.