Possible retear of labrum after surgery(going crazy)

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had shoulder arthroscopic surgery in september 2022(360 labral tear on right shoulder), and was going through the whole PT process and everything for 4 months with a huge reduction of pain in my shoulder, and 2 nights ago I was lifting a 20lb box/plastic tub a little above my waist and felt a pop/jolt in my right shoulder and since then it feels like I've had instability, and definitely had pain in my shoulder that feels similar to before my surgery.

If I lift my right arm to the right of me I get pain even at 45 degrees. My shoulder has this deep throbbing pain that won't go away just like before the surgery. My shoulder hasn't dislocated but I have pain that I haven't felt for a long time.

I see my PT tomorrow and will see what he says but I really can't believe I might need to get surgery again after lifting a 20lb tub. Dumbest thing I've done my entire life and I was just about to start doing push exercises to start strengthening my shoulder back to normal.

Feels like I'm back to square one and will have to get revision surgery(and for much more cost since I'm off my parents insurance and only have Cigna from my work now...)

Has anyone else been in the same boat? Does anyone think it's a retear or just aggravation?

Like I said I see my PT tomorrow and am moving up my surgeon appointment, but my shoulder is all I can think about at the moment and I can't get anything done. It really is just the worst feeling ever especially since I'm through the hardest parts of PT from this surgery.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Edited

oh so sorry...i hope you don't require surgery again. shoulder pain is no joke. both mine torn rotator cuff.

Sending good vibes your way..

• Edited

I'm also a type 1 diabetic but I would rather continue having type 1 diabetic than continue having a torn labrum. Really is the worst I can only hope for the best but the feeling in my shoulder is not a positive one...

Thanks for your kinds words all I can do is hope

• Edited

a diabetic is a whole differnt outcome. its really something tomdiscussmwithnurmsurgeon. pt and rhab may take longer. the surgeon will prescribe pain meds and antibiotics.

• Edited

Miraculously I was able to see my surgeon a few days after I felt this in my shoulder. He let me know there is no way I tore and I just need to rest it.

Pt is definitely something I will get after once my shoulder is feeling better.

• Posted

that is the best news.. So happy no damage.. take it easy...

• Edited

Hi Red L

( hi barb hope ya keeping well )

red how did the physio appointment go. know how you fee. even so long post op some stupid move catches you out and stick ya in the shoulder again.

it pandoras box with shoulders. the are so debilitating and painful we are so willing to go under the knife to be ache free.

i look back over the three operations and yes it has to be what's needed. with us now we all live in fear of re damage or i just gives us jip that we have to live with for the rest of our lives

i am back having shock wave treatment after sitting for 16 weeks recovering and i was fine. to the end of recovery some one pulled a door open ( i had the handle the otherside ), like you red i felt a pop,

went straight back to rehab and was told all ok. while off it was. now i have a inflamed socket and supraspinatus tendon. properly due to work

as with you always in fear of re injury and more ache.

stay positive and keep the faith. it will get better

c

• Posted

Thanks, but it turns out that I only pinched the ligament, pain went down a lot after 5 days.

Sometimes things aren't as bad as they seem lucky for me

• Posted

Turns out I only pinched the ligament, I got stressed out over nothing!

• Posted

great news red

just goes to show how paranoid we all are post op. and the fragility.

good luck in the latter recovery and take extra care of your shoulder.

colin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.