Possible ringworm or pityriasis rosea?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there,

Been getting these strange marks on my body since Monday, any suggestions for what these could be? I figured ringworm, but was hoping someone else maybe could give some insight. Thanks!!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Could be either ringworm or pityriasis rosea because they look very similar. If canasten cream doesn't have any effect and it spreads into many more smaller bits of rash then it's likely pityriasis. Either way you can use calamine lotion to help with itching.

• Posted

That's what I was thinking. I have been applying some canesten cream and it's pretty much cleared up in those spots, but some new parts have appeared (mostly in parts where I sweat, like feet, forearms, etc.). What do you think that points towards?

• Posted

I'm not a doctor but I'd say that sounds more like ringworm. Pityriasis will go mostly on the trunk and wont be specifically in sweaty areas and Pityriasis rash can take months to go away. I had PR last year so I learnt about this stuff.

You can wash your body with an anti dandruff shampoo like head and shoulders, or a wash with tea tree oil in.

• Posted

The rings, could be the fungal ringworm, or any other number of "look alikes".

Try over the counter foot funus meds, like Lotrimin, Lamisil, Ringworm Clear, see what happens.

If they dont respond whatsoever, erythema annulare (among others) is one possibility.

Do they start small and expand like rings on a pond over many weeks?

Any dermatologist can do a light scraping and check for fungal activity. See the doctor.

See the sample pictures I found of a doctors trial treatment using UV light. See the PDF link on my other post about it here (at the bottom of the posting)

[https://patient.info/forums/discuss/reaccurances-of-erythemea-annulare-centrifugum-628118?page=0&order=Oldest]

PS - I dont sell anything. (The PDF does discuss a certain brand UV device but its only available to licensed physicians).

Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.