Possible sciatic nerve issues after TKR

Posted , 11 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

I am almost 7 months after first TKR. At first physio session I asked cause of thigh pain and was told it was likely due to use of tornaque? Whenever standing in shower or standing anywhere, within couple minutes I feel pins and needles in foot ( which also starts going knumb) and severe pain in upper leg, back of thigh and glute. Continuing to stand or if walking more than say 100m becomes increasingly more painful forcing to sit for temporary respite.

Pain during the night can usually be accommodated by seeking alternative posture with pillow between knees.

I am keenly interested to know if similar problems are/have been experienced by others and what remedies can be tried. I see consultant in 6 weeks (TKR on t'other leg) so can expect his response then. In meantime I am being told the ongoing pain is most likely caused by sciatic nerve being agrivated/unsettled/disturbed? This is the link I'm wanting to explore, please? Thanks.

3 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Edited

Hi veryniceman,

I am 7 weeks post op from a PKR.  I also have had pain and numbness in my thigh straight down the outside of my knee almost to my ankle. I was also told sciatica pain. Then my p.t. told me it's the IT band that was affected during surgery. I've done what she said to do and it is almost gone. I also woke up from surgery with a numb left hand (surgery side) that nobody can explain...so they ignore:-(. Google IT band and see if that may be your issue.  I hope you can get relief from the pain. My thoughts are with you🙏🏻

• Edited

Hi Susan25378, I am so thankful that I came across this post. I had my left knee replaced 18 days ago and have developed Sciatica in the same leg. It feels worse than the knee pain. What kind of exercises did you do? I have Physical Therapy tomorrow and I will ask them. My husband had his knee replaced in June and he made it look so easy. My knee is doing great. It is just the other complications. I had fever and then found out that was a UTI and then now this. I am sorry for all that you have gone through, but so nice to talk to someone who understands. It is all pretty depressing. Thank you. 
  • Posted

There is also a nerve that comes out of the groin and wraps around the hip then goes down the leg into the foot. This can create any number of pains some of which are almost debilitating at times. Check with a physical therapist and discuss the possibility of this being part of your problem.
  • Posted

I too had terrible thigh pain following my 1st TKR it did go after a while I rubbed deep heat into it and that seemed to help and also ice is a good help.
  • Posted

I suffered greatly with similar pain after my TKR in 2014. It was caused by piriformis muscle (in buttock). I was given specific exercises which I've done ever since. It took a very long time to improve but it is much better now - but I keep doing the stretches. If you google "piriformis syndrome" you should find some exercises or speak to your physio. It might not be the cause of your pain but it might be worth looking into. Good luck. 

• Edited

I have very similar problems. I had a knee replacement 8 weeks ago. I have a lot of pain in my thigh, but even more pain down to my calf muscle, my shin in the front of my leg and in my ankle. The pain is worse than the pain from my KR. Did you find any relief or did the pain stop?
    • Posted

Hi Paula.

My right TKR was February 2007, now 14 months ago. My left TKR was last November - nearly 5 months ago.

Left TKR has settled down much better than the right although problems with right leg presently as bad as ever, deemed to be caused by sciatic nerve damage/irritation. Literally a pain in the arse, extending down outside/rear right leg and into underside of right foot. Recent NHS visit now recommending medication (writing to GP) to try help settle sciatic nerve to help healing process. Will need to wait & see. In meantime cycling is better than walking, standing waiting in cues at airports is a no-no and Wife is being very kind (excused washing-up duties). 

• Posted

Sciatica pain after tkr is not unusual. I would up having to have a decompression surgery a few years after my original tkr a few years back. You have a tendency to favor the body with a limp and eventually everything gets out of alignment. It sure helped in a hurry. Now things have gotten so bad I may have to go through it again in the near future 3 years after my last revision. Sometimes an injection will take care of it.
  • Posted

You are spot on when you talk about standing for even short periods.the pain can put you in a situation where you want to scream.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.