Possible Shingles without rash

Posted , 3 users are following.

lI was having a tingling,burning itching sensation on my left neck, shoulder and upper arm without a rash.  my Dr  thought I might have shingles but sent me too get xrays of my neck  , I have severe arthritus in my neck they thought it might be causing nerve damage.   Been through theropy had injections in the neck but still have the same sensations,  in the same are this has gone on for several weeks.  Dr has ginem me Gabapentin that I have been taking for several weeks It helps a little but still the same tingling burning prickling burning issues  Have strtes to get some rash  on back and side of neck and upper arem on left side

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Edward,

You didn't say whether your doctor confirmed you actually had shingles. Were you given the anti-viral drugs for shingles? If you haven't tried alternative methods to releave your symptoms, you should like changing your eating habits, sleeping more, using relaxation techniques and trying to stay stress-free. Stress is very bad and directly makes shingles pain worse. 

• Posted

Hi Edward,

It certainly sounds as if you have Herpes Zoster Shingles on the Left side of the neck, arm, and back.

Usually, Herpes Zoster Shingles is preceded by the following symptoms including headache, aches and pains, fever, chills and sweating, fatigue and exhaustion, malaise. Then, the tingling, burning, occasionally itching starts, followed by the rash. Usually, but not always, the rash is restricted to one side of the body.

Hopefully, your physician has placed you on antivirals for 7-10 days and a strong analgesic such as Oxycodone. The pain often can increase after the rash erupts.

You need to sleep and rest and not power through this.

Please see your physician tomorrow morning early if he has not prescribed the antiviral and request it.

The pain of Herpes Zoster Shingles is quite different from the pain of chronic neck arthritis, and I am certain what you experienced was an acute change from your prior state.

I am a Nurse Practitioner in the States and have had Herpes Zoster Shingles in my right ear every three to five weeks for the past twentyone years and twice in my right eye.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.