Possible side effects from Iron Tablets

Posted , 3 users are following.

After needing a blood transfusion for severe anemia I was put on Iron tablets. However after taking them for almost 10 days I seem to get hives or a small itchy rash on certain parts of my body. Even if i bang my skin off something by accident it breaks out in hives. Could I be allergic? I've not other symptoms. Has anyone else had these problems?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Yes this happened to me a few years ago. I was itchy from head to toe from a certain type of iron tablet. I got a different prescription, ferrous fumerate, and haven't had a problem since. If your doctor closed now for Christmas ask your pharmacist for an over the counter iron supplement for now.

Best wishes

• Posted

Hiya.

I bought some spat one but dont know if I should take that instead. Its really annoying my skins like this. I'm just worried if i stop the tablets I will get sick again xx

• Posted

I've heard that spatone is very well absorbed. Hope you get through Christmas and get an alternative iron tablet soon. Merry Christmas to you xx

• Posted

I'm now tired again after stopping my iron tablets ...just started on the spatone...i just hope im not doing myself.more harm by not taking them!

• Posted

Hi I'm from Australia and take the following tablets after my GP found out I was low in iron. They're called FERRO-GRAD C and available OTC at the pharmacy. I've been on them a week and no problems at all. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.