Possible spleen rupture? What can I do?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I don't know whether I should be posting this here. 

I have no idea if I could have possibly strained my spleen, or ruptured it. 

Was diagnosed with Mono/Glandular fever in October. Of course, my spleen was enlarged and tender. I could even feel pain in that area when I was walking. 

Last week, I did some heavy lifting at work. (Lifting paper waste bags and dragging them). 

The next day, my stools were black. (Sorry, TMI). I went to a doctor, who didn't seem to be bothered what I was telling him. He did give me a check over. He ended up prescribing me more anti-sickess tablets and gastro-resistant medication. I asked if the medication could be causing black stools, and he said no. I looked on the ingrediants, and there is no bismth in it. I also haven't been eating black foods, or taking supplements. At that time, I didn't have much pain there, more like a twinge in the upper left abdomen. 

Last night, I felt a painful twinge in the same area. The pain was there when I breathed in, and even bent down. But, I brushed it off.

My stools have now gone back to normal, but I feel pain there as I'm writing this. I feel pressure in my lower abdomen, and it's tender when I press down on the area just under my left breast. The pain is also radiating to my upper back. Sometimes going to the left side of my back. 

Should I go to the A&E/ER department? I don't want to waste their time. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I should also mention that even though I have been taking gastro-resistant tablets, I still have nausea. I also have dizziness, and have felt somewhat confused the past few days.
  • Posted

Hi, none of what you describe sounds good - I don't think getting yourself checked out in A&E would be wasting anyone's time. At a minimum you should get your blood pressure checked as it would have dropped if there is internal bleeding. Better safe than sorry is my opinion. 

• Posted

Absolutely you should go to hospital asap... very similar pain to what I first experienced... 

I had had no trauma at all but my spleen completely disintegrated ...

Get to hospital ...

Good luck ...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.