Possible sprained thumb - what sort of support should I use?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I slipped and fell while playing tennis about 3 months ago. I hurt my thumb, and for a week or so was unable to grip anything with my thumb without pain. There was no major swelling, and I was able to move the thumb. While it has improved significantly I still get pain when using my thumb to apply pressure at certain angles. For example I get pain when gripping my electric toothbrush at certain angles to brush my teeth, but there is no pain if I am using a computer mouse and squeeze the sides of the mouse hard between my thumb and ring/little fingers.

For obvious reasons I don't want to go to my local GP at the moment for such a relatively minor complaint. I suspect that I have a low grade strain of some sort, and that using some sort of support/splint to immobilise the thumb would be a good idea. I was wondering if anyone could advise on what sort of device I should be looking for? I've seen neoprene supports which cover the wrist and thumb, and others which cover the palm and thumb. How can I determine which would be best for me?

TIA for any advice.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.