Possible surgery #3

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have had two previous shoulder surgeries... a slap tear (labrum tear) and then complications from them landed me with frozen shoulder (manual manipulation). Fast forward about 3 years and I have another labral tear and two bicep tears. I got the labral tear because following the manual manipulation surgery, my shoulder became unstable and started to dislocate frequency. Dislocation was never an issue, but now it is a constant issue. I am in constant pain and have tried PT for so long. I am wondering if anyone else has been in this type of surgery. Looking at surgery #3 and what the outcome was? I am hoping to feel better, but am scared I'll be in more pain and I'll come out with yet another complication. Help?!?  

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I’m never going to have shoulder surgery again. I’ll live with this. It sucks. Wish I never went. My pain before was bad but I had movement. I now have excruciating pain, spasms and only 50% use of my arm. Cutting cut isn’t always an answer. Sometimes I think it’s a doctors way of making $$. Sorry. I work in the Healthcare field. I see and hear a lot. I went thru 4 doctors till a doctor finally believed my pain issue. MRI finally showed the issue. I should have done my homework before diving into the surgery. Please do the same. Google your question. It sounds like you’re on a downward spiral with surgeries. Be careful.
  • Posted

I completely feel your frustration. August of 2015 I has a slap repair. Then may of 2016 I had a bicep tenodesis cuz the labrum retore. Then the end of July 2016 I had adhesive capulitis release. It's over a yr later and I'm worse off then I was before the first surgery. My Dr has me on modified restrictions indefinitely. I'm not allowed to use my left arm over head at all at work so I'm doing all of that with my right arm which is now getting sore from over use. It's soon honing to be 3 yrs since my injury and I'm so frustrated.

• Posted

Hi! Im sorry to hear about your more recent injuries and troubles with dislocation. Are you still being seen for PT? If so, kindly ask them if your cervical spine could be contributing to some of the problems you are having. The nerves that "feed" the muscles in your arm, they originate from your neck as C1-C8 nerve roots. Though it would not be the main problem of your recent pain and shoulder dislocations, if the nerve roots of the neck are being affected in anyway, this can cause a muscle imbalance in the muscles they feed and can affect the mechanics of your shoulder and shoulder blade. I think of the relationship between the nerves coming from the spinal cord in the neck region and the path they take to the rest of the body, in this way: If you are watering your garden with a house and someone steps on the house from behind, this action diminishes the flow of water from that point they stepped on it, to the end of the house were the water was coming out...in the same way, if you happen to have any sort of nerve root involvement in the neck(pinching due to poor posture, arthritis, bulging disc, etc) , this may (or may not) affect the muscles that those nerves feed...in this case, your shoulder girdle muscles. 

You might also kindly ask your PT if they think Kinesiotape will help provide the extra support your shoulder needs during this time. 

I realize this idea I'm presenting is most likely not the main cause of why you are having continuing shoulder dislocations, but I can bet it is playing a big part since you have had multiple surgeries and Im guessing your posture(specifically your neck) has been affected by them, thus causing some nerve root problems and having some affects on the shoulder.

Hope this is helpful in some way! Best of luck!  

Physical Therapist Assistant from Arizona

• Posted

Thank you so much for this information. I think this will be extremely helpful. I am interested to see how my PT reacts to this. I have been having extreme neck pain where I can’t move my neck and I am constantly using heating pads or massaging it out. Hopefully this will help to some degree 
    • Posted

You are welcome! I hope your PT will have good ears. Just be respectful about it and ask if your neck symptoms could be hindering the progress of your shoulder strengthening and healing. 

You might also want to ask your Dr about that as well. Imaging of the neck might also paint a better picture.

Best of luck!

• Posted

My example was supposed to say hose not house, sorry! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.