possible svt?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Ive posted on here recently and had some brilliant advice from others smile unfortunately I have found myself in a pickle again sad I recently had a episode of what think may have been a svt, but not 100% sure. It all started when I started to take bisoprolol , I was prescribed 1.25 which is a low dose but due to being paranoid of a past encounter decided to just take a quarter as neede. About a week or two later I had a funny ectopic(real long pause,big thud one)but followed by a strange fast beat that I can only describe as it was like a different part of my heart beating, I hit my chest as hard as I could and it seemed to settle down, a week or so later and still taking the bisoprolol I had a nasty heart rate encounter. I got home around 10pm from my friends and did the usual(make drink, had a cigarette and took a bit of a bisoprolol) I then went and sat down in the living room and turned on my phone , i  was fine for about 15min then all of a sudden out of nowhere my heart rate went really high, I'm thinking 200-250+ as it a lot faster  than exercise speeds, I then jumped up in a mad panick and told my friend to ring a ambulance , the last thing I remember was holding my nose and bearing  which I'm ashuming stopped the episode(1.5 min approx) ,medic turned up but couldn't find anything as it had gone, blood sugar was good , pressure ect. now this has made me very anxious up to date and I can't help but think its the beta blocker that has caused this, in a year and a bit of having ectopic s(mainly PVCs) only now when I decide to try a beta blocker I have these heart rate episodes sad what does anybody else think? Surely they're linked!  I'm 33 my partner has just had a baby and this is destroying my life . doc didnt know what to say except he'll email the cardiologist , so now its just the fear/waiting game again sad PS last cardiologist stated I have possible orthostatic hypotention, sinus tachycardia and PVCs . 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

This definitely sounds like it may have been an SVT episode. The best thing you can do is.. you guessed it, wait. Just try to stay calm. SVTs are NOT life threatening. They are scary as heck, but you just have to not worry about it. If it goes on for over 30 minutes, go to the ER or call an ambulance. If it's less than that, simply bear down and try to get out of it yourself.

• Posted

I agree with DR365.  This does sound like SVT.  I also agree with the offered advice. Many of us are/have been terrified by SVT and we deeply understand your response to this monster.  

I encourage you to work with your health care people to seek remedies.  If you have an otherwise healthy heart, your prognosis is excellent. You may well be a good candidate for ablation and, in turn, an actual cure.

It's easy to say, but much harder to accept, that SVT is not likely to do great harm to you.  When you get to the other side of this stuff, you may well feel better than ever before.  I wish the very best for you.

• Posted

Thank you for the replys, I have contacted the doc but he didn't know what to say sad he told me he is emailing the cardiologist and I will be waiting a week roughly to hear back. Touch wood I havnt had this racing beat occur again so my anxiety has calmed down(a bit). Funny thing is since this happened I have noticed a slight change recently with my heart, my PVCs seemed to have subsided (except a few in the evening/bed) but my heart now seems to be beating slower, average 55 when sitting, clocked it at 48 laying in bed the other night , but what worries me more is I keep getting a strange vibrating sensation in my chest which actually feels like its my heart? I dunno its weird, not painful but strange and alarms me a bit. 

• Posted

Matt, I might be a world-class expert at inventing new and bizarre symptoms.  It's normal for SVT people to do this, I think.  I used to read of people not being able to feel their ectopics, and even their SVT, and be amazed. Most of my stuff felt as if it were hitting me with a hammer.

A couple of months after my ablation, I realized that my ectopics weren't as "strong" as before.  Of course they are, but I'm just paying much less attention to them. This may well happen to you, too.  Take care.

• Posted

I'm kind of hoping that the situation is improving , I know what you mean with the PVCs , maybe theyre just less forceful so I don't notice them as much , it is funny though as I always get a big thud one within 10-20 min of being in bed , its almost clock work , make s me wonder why it happens with that position change? Apart from occasional chest pains/dizzeness, a vibrating sensation in my heart and slow heart beat I guess I'm ok. I suppose I have to remind myself that it could be worse, and that some people with terminal illnesses would probably swap places in a heart beat 

• Posted

I've experienced the occasional "big thud" for decades, Matt, and I think that's a good description of the feeling. I've often wondered if some body positions might allow our chest walls/cavities to act as an amplifier.  

I also think you're on target with comparing our situations with those of terminally ill people.  Maybe you can focus on some of this and reduce the understandable anxiety you're feeling.  Take care. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.