Possible SVTs? would greatly appreciate any advice/your thoughts on this

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all, I came across this forum whilst researching what my symptoms could be. Sounds to me like potentially SVT's but wanted to share my experiences to get peoples thoughts please?

I've probably had about 6 or so episodes over the past couple of months. They seem to come out of nowhere, and I'm suddenly aware that my heart is racing. Tend to go up to 160ish rather than 200+ which I've seen on here but my normal resting is high 50's so not sure if that has any bearing? I don't seem to have any specific triggers (once happened an hour after exercising, twice whilst sitting watching TV, one of which was shortly after a large meal) last nights ones was in the middle of the night. I woke and couldn't get back to sleep. My pulse felt a bit faster than usual and then all of a sudden i was aware that it was racing. Checked and it was 160. Other symptoms at the time often include anxiety but also shivering sometimes like i have the flu as well as slight confusion. I've also noticed by legs feel quite heavy, although i think thats more in the immediate aftermath. Today's episode took 6 hours for the heart rate to come down. Often it returns to a level 10-15beats above its norm for quite a few days before returning to it's normal norm. I also get palpitations with it and can feel the pause then what feels like an extra beat afterwards. Does this all sound like SVTs? would appreciate your views. Thanks

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

It might be PVT, which is really dangerous, it might me PSTV, which in most cases is safe, it might be anxiety, which is not dangerous at all. The sympthoms of these three things are very like.

Why don't you visit a doctor and ask him? This is the only sensible option you have.

• Posted

Thanks for taking the time to reply Eugene. I have had an ECG done during one episode and it was fast (125 ish) but they said it was constant so in their view no immediate concern. Now waiting for a referal for further tests.
  • Posted

Mark,

It does sound like it could be svt, but I agree with Eugene, you should go to a doctor to find out for sure what is going on. 

• Posted

Thanks. Yes I've done that and just waiting for a referal now.

• Posted

I have similar episodes that last for 5 or more hours and they generally take hours to recover from. I went to the hospital during the last episode and weirdly enough, I was in sinus rhythm - notwithstanding that it was around the 160 mark. I don't have anxiety, my heart rate just skyrockets but stays in sinus rhythm - which is abnormal in itself.

I have IST and SVT/VT. I was told that if you can feel extra beats, it's probably not SVT but another abnormal rhythm. Ventricular Ectopy is another thing to consider if you feel palpitations during the racing. I would definitely check in with your doctor and have some further tests to try and catch an episode.

• Posted

Hi Louiso, thanks for your reply. My symptoms sounds similar to yours. My HR doesn't go up to the 200s like i've seen some people say, but it's typically 2.5x higher than my norm when this happens. Just had a read about IST and that sounds a potential explanation. The thing that's bothering me the most with this is feeling scared to do any exercise as that's triggered an episode off a couple of times. What did the doctors do to help you? hope your symptoms are improving.

• Posted

yeah I have never seen mine exceed 160/170 during an episode.

I wouldn't be so scared of exercise. I've had a few episodes shortly after exercise and once during. provided you know it's nothing serious, I wouldn't let that deter you.

I've never been overweight but I recently lost 10kg through diet and exercise and I honestly haven't felt better. my doctors and cardiologist recommend exercise and pretty much tell me to persevere, even on the bad days. It has certainly improved my quality of life and the management of a dysfunctional heart haha.

I take ivabradine and a beta blocker, both at maximum dose. I no longer have any of the crappy side effects that ordinarily come with them. I'm not a candidate for ablation so this is my best option and it really isn't that bad.

in terms of the longer episodes that you have, I generally get given magnesium. maybe consider a magnesium supplement daily and see if that reduces their frequency!

keep me posted! id be interested to hear

• Posted

Yep I agree with what they're saying, make an appointment with a EP, ask for a holster monitor, maybe one for two weeks if they catch an episode and find out exactly what it is. Best of luck.

• Posted

Thank you, a holter monitor for a good period of time definitely sounds like the way forward.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.