Possible symptoms or something else

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey guys, I got a few questions about symptoms. I know Google is my friend but sometimes it will have you thinking you dead already.

Just to refresh you guys. I'm 49 yr old AA and my Psa is 4.74 down from 5 but I had some other stuff going on that I'm wondering if any of you experienced this as well. Hope it's not tmi, just trying to tie things together. Keep in mind these first 2 things started happening about a month before I got my high Psa reading.

1. Testicles felt like they were swollen. Whole area but right one seemed to be more than other. Strangely enough when I passed gas it felt better. (and the gas was extremely bad) Emergency Hotline Dr and Urgent care Dr initially thought maybe epididymitis when I told them I had a vasectomy, primary care and urologists all said it was probably gas.

2. Groin and back area was painful. Primary care initially said after looking at my posture (which I admit was horrible) that it was probably an issue with my back because back issues can affect my groin and suggested that I do some PT that would focus on my back and improve my posture and hopefully help my both areas.

3. Lately bowel movement has been alot darker and umm more concentrated than usual.

Again the first 2 started happening about a month before I got my high Psa reading. I was just wondering if any of you guys experienced something similar. Just trying to connect some dots.

Thanks in advance.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Good morning Big Will,

​An enlarged prostate can have an affect on both bowel and bladder. The most important affect seems to be on the bladder by reducing urine flow when urinating. An enlarged prostate restricts the uretha tube reducing urine flow. This does not mean you have PC but it is best to get it checked, as you have. With a PSA of over 4.0 I would be inclined to have a biopsy. It will either tell you no cancer at all or you will get from it a Gleason number.

​The scale for this is 1 to 10. Anything above 3 and I think they will probably wish to intervene. To give you some guidance, I was 64 when diagnosed with PSA at 11 and Gleason 9. That was almost 14 years ago and I am still here.

Hope this helps

Regards

​G

• Posted

Glad to hear you're still heresmile

?What treatment did you have?  My husband has a PSA of 11.  He has been told he has an enlarged prostate from MRI and rectal ultra sound which doesn't show any sign of cancer,  but doesn't want a biopsy yet but is have regular PSA testing.

Thanks for any advice.

?All best wishes.  Anne

• Posted

hi anne,

i also have had an enlarged prostate (BPH) and when my PSA went up to 12.3, my urologist did a DRE - digital rectal exam - painful but brief, and was negative for lumps. i had seen that BPH can raise your PSA level but my dr. said "Not that much - you should get a biopsy to be sure" -- i put it off and now have PSA 16.3, with MRI showing 2 lesions. so anything over 10, a biopsy should be done. if you can find a dr. who does live MRI-monitored biopsy, get the biopsy. the TRUS is now the standard but it's old technology and not as precise as at least Fusion MRI-guided (+ TRUS)

good luck                                                    

• Posted

Thanks Rich.  My husband has had a few DRE and was told nothing abnormal.  I understand rising PSA would be concerning and currently at 11, so we'll be informing the consultant.  He was offering a transperineal biopsy and husband doesn't want a rectal one.  He's had a rectal ultrasound also.

• Posted

Good Evening Anne

​My PSA was 11,my Gleason number was 9. From Jan 2005 to Aug 2005 I had monthly implants of Zoladex[I understand is a synthetic female hormone].It suppresses the testosterone and therefore inhibits the cancer growth. From mid April 2005 to mid June 2005 I had 40 hits of radiation. By Aug 2005 my PSA was 0.2 and remained below 1.0 for 7 years. There was a gradual increase in PSA over the next 2.5 years until it reached 13. I was then given a 7 month course of Zoladex by which time my PSA was less than 0.1. Just 3 months ago I went back onto Zoladex, my PSA is now 0.2 so I expect to come off it soon.

regards

​G

• Posted

Thank you. Good to hear things are stable for you now.  Stay well.   

​Best wishes Anne.

• Posted

Hi Anne.  My husband had a psa 5.6 , was going up slowly over the months, he had a multi parametric MRI, which was inconclusive due to a femur nail in his leg so had to have trans perennial template biopsies.

they took 42 cores and found 5 areas of cancer .

so encourage your husband to get tested .

He had a general so did not feel any pain and very little discomfort after.

best wishes 

• Posted

Hi Sharon

​thanks for your reply. Does you husband need to have any treatment?  Hope all is well.

Many thanks.

Anne

• Posted

I've seen PSA levels of 144 and more. 5 down to 4 is nothing. biospy can be dangerous, but essential when your PSA goes way up past 4. Between 4 and 10, you should get an MRI scan before biopsy. Between 10-20 is intermediate risk. over 20 is high risk. i was 16.3 with an MRI report showing 2 lesions, so i'm going for a biopsy in 2 weeks. unneeded biopsies is a big issue right now, with rampant strains of bacteria beginning to show up that don't respond to any know antibiotics

sounds like you had an infection down there, which could have jacked up your PSA. 

• Posted

I really hope that's is. I actually meet with my new urologists in a week, hopefully he can shed some light. I'm writing everything down I've learned from here. Hopefully like you said it was just some kind of infection. I already got tested for stds twice since then so I know it's not that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.