Possible Thyroid Removal & Wororied about Weight Gain

Posted , 4 users are following.

Wen back to my endocrinologist after four years.  Have been takingn Synthroid 75mcg all of that time for hypothyroidism.  I have several nodules and they have grown.  He prescribed larger dose of Synthroid (88 mcg) and performed a needle biopsy which came back no cancer but not enought benign cells (?).  He suggests thyroid removal due to the fact that I have several nodules and will only have to have more biopsies.  I have been told by other people that I will gain a lot of weight, even though I try to watch my diet and stay active.  Is this true?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Roxanne,  It is best to do your research and take it very seriously if you are thinking of having your thyroid removed. Not only for weight gain, but how your thyroid gland is your furnace for your body.  It definitely does effect your metabolism, however, it effects your hair, skin, your body temperature, messes with your hormones.   If you dont have cancer, possibly reading on iodine for instance (kelp), that may be able to control these nodules.  My advice to you is get informed, and be your own advocate. There are obviously reasons why nodules surface in the first place.  Possibly there are holistic ways to reduce them.   I had my thyroid removed in 2010.  It has been nothing but a nightmare!  I did go from 156 to 190 lbs.   I am now starting to come down after 5 years after switching to natural thyroid medication.   Synthroid did not work well for me.   Natural thyroid has more natural hormones that our own thyroid gland would produce. I have experience this surgery first hand as many have on this site.   Please do your homework. 
    • Posted

Thanks for replying.

I'm 71 and try to keep very active, even though it is difficult at the moment, since I work full time and take care of a toddler after work as well.

I'll do some research concerning the natural thyroid medication.

• Posted

Hello Roxanne:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's thyroid  disease since 1987 and I have 3 nodules.

Most thyroid nodules are not cancerous.  They can come from infections that cause cells to clump together and some are just lipid cells  that clump.  Some are also cyst like and can contain a cellular fluid.

You need your thyroid and without one you will have a hard time with the medication.  I do an Ultrasound about once a year.  My nodules are small and are under an inch.

Most of the thyroid meds need a thyroid to absorb them and when you lose the thyroid the other body organs have to do the work.  This includes the liver stomach and intestines.  It can be harder to get the level just right.

Yes, if you have no thyroid, weight gain is a symptom and it is hard to lose the weight.  Please get a second opinion on this.  You can see an Endocrine Surgeon for this.

Most nodules are not cancerous so unless you have a family history of thyroid cancer, I would try to keep my thyroid.  Like I said I have 3 small ones and I am 54 and have had them for years.

Unless the nodules are causing you breathing problems or throat trouble, they can be watched.

Keep us posted on how you do,

Shelly

• Posted

Thank-you for replying.

The surgeon I was going to use is a general surgeon and does perform thyroid surgery, but since reading your reply, I think I will consult an Endocrine surgeon.

I am tired most of the time and I have a problem with swallowing, which tempted me to go ahead with the surgery.  We'll see if the dosage increase helps shrink the nodules.  Dr. B. says I have several and will only need more biopsies. He's supposed to be one of the best endo doctors around, so I was really preparing myself for surgery. 

• Posted

Hello Roxanne:

One thing I learned is always get a 2nd opinon and if the nodules are pressing on your throat that can be dangerous. See an Endocrine Surgeon.

I had back surgery in Nov. 2014,  for a herniated disc in my lower back, and I was assigned an Anthesiologist but she was not experienced with people with thyroid issues.  She had to do multiple attempts and caused a TMJ joint injury to my left jaw. I was  in horrible pain for a long time. I felt like a prize fighter beat me up!

Make sure you ask to interview the person who does Anethesia and ask them if they have done a person with nodlues. It is most important you get an experienced Anesthesiologist.

A large intubation tube must go down your throat and it is hard if nodules are in the area.  I just trusted the Anestheisa people and I should not have. 

Regards, and keep us posted on how you do,

Shelly

• Posted

Hi I had Thyroid Removal and gained 7 pounds. So not a massive weight gain. The only problem I had was while I was under the General Anesetic the process was done wrong and my TMJ (jaw muscle) got damaged and now I have left sided facial pain for the rest of my life. The way to avoid it is to insist on an experienced anethetist is in theatre when they do the Thyroidectomy as this is needed when dealing with the throat area. Don't want to scare you just don't want it to happen to someone else. I had an overactive thyroid wish I would have chosen non surgical route
    • Posted

Thanks, Patricia.  I am really sorry to hear that.  I have never questioned an anesthetist before.  Just the doctor.

This forum makes me want to do a lot more research.

Surgery will be the last resort-"if" the nodules keep growing and giving me problems.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.