Possible to get HFMD with only a few blisters?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello! My 1 year old son has HFMD. He’s had it for almost a week. I had a small blister appear on my hand 3 days ago. I’ve had a few more appear- one on arm and one on neck. I’ve had white spots in the back of my throat for at least 24 hours. Headaches for 72 hours. No fever and only the scratchy feeling of getting sick in my throat for 2 days. Is it possible that this is all that’s going to happen or am I a sitting duck? I wouldn’t care except that I’m in a wedding in 6 days. Any advice would be appreciated! My husbands keeps telling me it’s all in my head and I’m fine.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

So HFMD is usually caused by a virus called CA16. This often just causes a sore throat and is aerosol transmitted. So you will have caught it from your son. Nasty strains can then can cause a systemic viraemia and lead to the rash that is HFMD - children are more susceptible to this than adults. 

So overall yes - I think you probably have caught the virus.

Will it cause as severe a rash as in your son’s case? - almost certainly no.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.