Possible to have UTI And not know it?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone, 

I've had a long history with urinary tract infections (At the age of 21 it's sad to say you have a long history with them) so I know what it feels like when they're coming and I know how to catch the signs and symptoms early. I've had immense pain with every UTI I've ever had. However at the moment I am getting the slightest bit of pressure with the tiniest amount of aggravation (feels like a slight skin burn) when I got to the bathroom. It's nothing major, not painful, just annoying and making me very paranoid because I can't afford to get another during this university semester. I've noticed when I drink heaps of water beforehand it burns less, so I think it's possible my urine might just be acidic and its burning my skin. However, I was wondering if its possible to have urinary tract infection but not have any symptoms including the pain? Please let me know. 

Thank you. 

P.S. 

Currently drinking 2.5-3L of water for the past three days just in case as well as taking vitamin C and drinking 1-2 glasses of Cranberry juice DAILY. Staying Clean as well. 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

The Cranberry Juice and Vitamin C might be an irritant to your UT if you have a beginning UTI (they *are* both highly acidic).  The pressure you describe could be "stress incontinence" (you feel as if you have to pee every few minutes and you *might* produce a drop or two).

In a few emergency situations I have changed the PH of my urine by mixing a scant amount of baking soda with water and drinking that (neutralizes the acid).  However, I don't recommend doing this often, just until you can see your doctor.  You might also (if you don't already), keep a box of testing strips to do a quick home dip test on your urine.

• Posted

I had no symptoms until it became an upper bladder infection and it started to attack my kidneys . If I didn't get the fever of 102.5 and the pains in my sides I would have never known.

• Posted

This is true.  A bladder infection will rarely produce fever whereas a kidney infection almost always does.  You see, when a test is positive for a UTI, it is merely showing an infection *somewhere* in the urinary tract.  Doctors diagnose by your symptoms.
    • Posted

When I went to the ER, the doctor asked me if I had any of the symptoms. I said no. I had a friend of a friend who died from this. She had an upper bladder infection that went Septic and she refused to go to the doctor before it was too late. At first I thought it was my Appendix . I am just glad I went in when I first noticed the pain and the high fever.
    • Posted

Yeah I never get fevers with a uti just a lot of pain to the point where I sometimes can't move in the lower abdomen. I went to the doctor he just outright gave me antibiotics and didn't take a urine sample, which to me is odd. If I do have one this will be the first time I haven't had the horrible pain.

• Posted

I've never had a doctor who referred to a kidney infection as an "upper bladder infection" or a bladder infection as a "lower bladder infection".  Upper and lower UTIs, yes.

I have the pain and pressure right over my bladder when I start a UTI, with one-sided (usually right) back pain and bright red blood in my urine.

Sorry you lost a friend to this.  

• Posted

Is this your regular doctor? If so, he might be diagnosing by your symptoms since you have a history of chronic infections.
    • Posted

It was an ER doctor. They did a blood test but the white blood cells showed no infection , they also did an ultrasound to make sure I did not have a cyst into of the ovairias. And a Urine test. It was the urine test that showed. He did not say a UTI infection, he said an upper bladder infection but I heard they are the same thing .
    • Posted

Thank you. She refuse des help. She did not want to go to the hospital u till it was to late. Something so simple that could have been cured she chose the wrong path. This is why as soon as I had the pain and high fever . I knew something was wrong.
    • Posted

We can't play games with our health.  No one enjoys going to the doctor but the alternative is sometimes much worse.

• Posted

Hi sandra, 

The problem is the symptoms I'm feeling are unusual. Every time i get a UTI i feel horrible stabbing pains immediately. However, this time, I'm just feeling as though that area is just aggravated and at the moment it is bearable. I've never had that from a UTI. Its always been immediate pain, not progressive pain from simple aggravation to horrible pain. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.