Possible trouble with a TVT.

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had a TVT (Trans Vaginal Tape) inserted in July 2010 for slight stress incontinence. Since then over 5 yrs I've had repeated bouts of urine infections all with different symptoms and have just had three infections over the course of three weeks! Have just seen the consultant today who tells me I've got to have antibiotics and self catheterise myself for six months. I am beside myself and holding back the tears. This may not work even after six months, I am so scared this will turn into a lifelong issue I don't think I can cope with. I have achy pains down my legs and a painful tailbone which i have just read can be some of the ailments caused by the tape! Should I try and have the tape removed, but then even this carries its own problems!!! I need guidance and reassurance, please!!!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello ann. Did the consultant not give you enough time to discuss all of your concerns? If the TVT is possibly the cause of these problems then it could be that you will have to have it removed because you can't go on suffering. I would ask for another appointment with the consultant if he's a Urogynaecologist. If not ask for a referral to one because they are the experts who are specially trained to deal with this problem.
    • Posted

Hi matron. Yes the female consultant is a urogyneacologist and have been seeing her for 3yrs and I also saw another one privately. I've had all the usual tests done including ultrasound in bladder an kidneys plus a biopsy. She thinks it is possibly the result of having the TVT an says she explained some if the pitfalls of which I don't remember! I also have intermittent flow when passing urine so I take forever in the loo, with a constant irritation in the bladder. When she told me today about the next step I think I was a bit shell shocked and upset so didn't really ask any other questions. She has asked me out if all 3 issues which is the worst but it's all part an parcel to me so just would like it resolved for good if at all possible!
    • Posted

Ann it's sometimes nerve wracking going to these appointments and I don't know how they expect patients to remember everything. I can just imagine what a shock this must have been because you have surgery expecting everything to be put right and then other problems raise their ugly head. Is someone going to show you how to self catheterise soon? That should hopefully be a nurse who works alongside the consultant. If so have a talk to her and explain to her your concerns. Hopefully she'll be able to explain everything to you.
    • Posted

I have to go back to my GP for the antibiotics and for her to make the appointment with the continence service to show me what to do. Do I try for the 6 months and see what happens before taking it any further. Yes it was a shock and she asked me if that was ok to do, I said yes if that's what its got to be because there was no other option offered and I suppose I was a little stunned by it all. I'm just worried that if it doesn't work after 6 months will I have to carry on doing it indefinitely?
    • Posted

It's hard to know what will happen in 6 months time. Your GP may have some answers. Next time you see your consultant is there any chance you could take someone with you? It would not only offer you support but they could prompt you to ask questions and also remember anything you could forget.
    • Posted

Yes possibly. I will and thank you for your advice.
    • Posted

Good luck ann and I hope everything gets sorted very soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.