Possible UTI?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone, new user here, since thursday i've been suffering with pain just below my belly button when urinating, it seems to be near the end of when im nearly finished, it's a dull sharp pain, i tried getting a GP appointment that week, but they were all booked, so today i went to see an out of hours GP, and i told him my symptoms.

He said that it was a urine infection, but he never asked me to pee in a sterile container so he could check, he just prescribed me a 7 day course of Trimethroprim, and gave me a "Microbiology labroatory" letter, and told me to collect a tube with a red lid so that at the end of my antibiotic's course, im to pee in it and hand it in, and if theres an infection, then i should go to my normal GP and take it from there.

I'm confused, do i have to have an appointment to hand my urine sample in, or can i go into my surgery and ask the receptionist? I'm concerned that he never checked my urine while i was there, just basically prescribed me anti-biotics and told me to collect this tube.

My main symptoms seem to be:

-Pain just below the belly button, hurts when i pee and strectch

-Going toilet 10+ times at night

-Feeling of not finishing a urination, feels like i still wan't to go.

Should i wait and see what happens on this course of anti-biotics before i go to my local gp with the urine sample? Thank's for reading, i appreciate it. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, I would certainly begin the course of Anti-biotics, can you get a telephone appointment with your GP? if so ask him/her about taking the urine specimen in, when I got my first UTI (after many many years) I phoned my GP, she prescribed Trimethoprim and asked me to take specimen in the following morning.
  • Posted

oops, have just noticed you posted 3 days ago, hope you are feeling better now?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.