Possible UTI symptoms? Tests are normal. Advice?

Posted , 2 users are following.

almost 1 1/2 years ago I started getting a persistent mid to lower back ache, on either side of my spine and some pelvic discomfort, sometimes during urination, sometimes just randomly. got a urinanalysis and renal ultrasound, all clear, no signs if uti or anything. Convinced my doctor to refer me to a urologist who agreed nothing seemed to be the matter. So its somewhere around 18 months later and I still have the back ache and some on and off again fatigue and generally feeling off. I was mildly anemic for awhile, and white blood cells mildly low too (since last december or so). did a bone marrow biopsy to make sure it wasn't leukemia or anything. All clear. I even had a colonoscopy to rule out anything there. All good.

My last cbc a month ago showed my blood counts are now basically normal. I still have this back ache and have pelvic discomfort off and on. Not really urinating more frequently but I do get up a few times during the night to pee. Caffeine and ejaculation do seem to cause my symptoms to flare up. I'm trying to figure out if I really do have a UTI and its just kind of mild and its not coming up on any tests and if my previously mild anemia is maybe related? since its been going on so long Id speculate its bacterial in nature, but no one else seems to think that.

Recently I changed doctors. What do you think is going on? Should I just tell my new dr I want to try a course of antibiotics just to see if that helps?

for reference I'm 34M, no previous illnesses

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Getting up a few times a night has no validity as to a problem you face, unless you urinate frequently during the night.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.