Possible website/app for local medics

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello

Just trying to get some feedback on an idea I have.

So I was thinking of building an app where local paramedics, first aiders etc sign up and if someone local to them is having a medical emergency, the app sends out an alert meaning a medic could get there asap.

I thought of this because I live in an area where it can take 45 minutes for an ambulance to respond.

I have a son who suffers from asthma and I live in fear that if something was to happen would a paramedic get here in time.

My concern about my idea is if someone local did respond and something went wrong they could get into trouble.

I know that scenario is bad but I am sure it can happen.

Do you think it is worth the time investing in this app or it is not worth it because of the problems it could bring.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

They would not be covered by insurance to work outwith their normal employment.
  • Posted

So do you feel it would be a waste of time?
    • Posted

Also nowadays first aiders would need to be vetted criminal records.
  • Posted

Are you suggesting they do it in their spare time? As Derek says, insurance would be a problem in this case as they would not be covered by the insurance of the organisation they normally work for. You may find that people who currently come out privately may be included in your app. People would then have to pay of course. I know there is a problem mixing NHS and private as the district nurse could not come out to me over Christmas but I could not pay to have someone come in privately either as I was not an accuse case.
  • Posted

I do see the points, in fact I had a rough idea about the insurance thing, my main point is that as a parent if one of my children needed emergency attention, and I knew I would have to wait 45 minutes for a paramedic, I would be grateful if a local first aider could intervene and assist so that my child survives.

It is the big problem with insurance and red tape. Plus people who falsely claim something happened.

Ruins a good thing.

• Posted

Being devil’s advocate if I were a paramedic for example I would probably think twice about treating someone without backup from my employer. I would be so worried about what would happen if something went wrong or even if the patient or parent said something had gone wrong in their opinion. People seem to be very trigger happy nowadays about blame in this legislative world.
  • Posted

I guess I would be reaching out more to those medics who think I would rather respond and help save someone's life rather than sit and do nothing.

• Posted

Not that it is their responsibility of course, just if a medic lived across the road from an emergency, they might want to help.
    • Posted

If you think that a first aider could be of help why not train yourself?

• Posted

Sadly this does not always happen as people are so litigious nowadays. You do something to help someone and they sue you. The result a lot of medics can be loathe to help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.