Possible weight gain after gallbladder removal

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi all, new to this group.

It's looking like I'll be having my gallbladder removed sometime next year. Had a ultrasound that showed a stone. Been suffering off and on for the last 14 months. Constant nagging pain in right side just under/bottom of rib cage. I've have about 6 attacks in that time period, the last one was six weeks ago and lasted 8 hours, caused by eating fish an' chips (I know!)

I've been checking various forums, and seen that folk have complained of weigh gain after the removal of their gallbladder, weight that is hard to shift. Most of these forums have been American based, possible their diet could be a factor. 

Has anyone suffered from weight gain after they've had their gallbladder removed?

Cheers Mark

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hey,

Have you had your gallbladder removed yet?

I had mine removed 3 years ago as I also experienced pain in the same area and they believed that I had chronic pancreantits so they removed my gallbladder even though the doctor mentioned to me that it looked perfectly healthy. Since then my digestion has gotten way worse I was already on a pretty limited diet not able to have dairy or wheat but now I cant even digest peanut butter or anything fatty. I also gained about 10lbs per year I was quite slim before as I was training for a competition but dispite eating a 500calorie deficit and exercising 5 days a week in the gym and doing hot yoga 4 days a week I cannot seem to lose the weight I have put on. I have tried bile salts as well as choline which are recommended for after a gallbladder is removed and it helps with digestion but not with the weight. I would just say that you want to be sure that this is a surgery that you need, doctors seem to just to removing this organ as they dont think we "need it" but it doesnt always solve the problem I feel like getting mine out was one of the worst decisions I have never made. 

I hope that your experience turns out better than mine, but I have read many stories like mine as well its different for everyone. 

• Posted

hi 

i had a gallbladder sergery about 2 years ago and after that i put on 10 kgs . and now im trying to lose my weight but i face many diffulties . when i start exercise i felt i start gaining more weight . And this situation put me in more stress .

kindly tell me what to do with this issue 

• Posted

I had gallbladder removal over 8 weeks ago. I am femal , 5'9" and usually about 135lbs. I now weigh 150lbs and I'm literally starving myself at this poiny. My stomach still looks like im 9 mos pregnant , I feel awful and I'm gaining over a pound a week and I'm eating nothing but healthy veges and grilled chicken and zero fat. I'm now down to one meal a day and literally starving and I'm still gaining and have muscle aches constantly , can't sleep at all and my feet are always cold. Anyone thinking of doing this surgery ... DONT ! It's the worst thing I've ever done and I feel awful , bloated and 15 lbs heavier and I'm hungry all the time.

• Posted

I'm sorry that you're having these difficulties, Tara.  Eight weeks is just enough time for your external incision to heal.  It's not enough time for you to heal internally.  

Reducing your calories while trying to recover from surgery is too taxing to your body, because you're not giving your body enough nutrition to heal itself. It appears to me that your body is now in starvation mode.  

At this point, it's more important that you heal properly. xx

• Posted

But I've tried eating some fat and felt awful. So I cut out fat and still feel awful. I've tried everything. And I still have stabbing pains in the same spot I did before surgery. I could have dealt with the pain from having my gallbladder much easier than what I've experienced the past 8 weeks.

• Posted

I just sent you a private message.  I am wondering if you're taking probiotics?  It could be that the bacterial balance in your gut is off....

• Posted

hi

i had a gallbladder sergery about 2 years ago and after that i put on 10 kgs . and now im trying to lose my weight but i face many diffulties . when i start exercise i felt i start gaining more weight . And this situation put me in more stress .

kindly tell me what to do with this issue

• Posted

I'm not a doctor, Aishsehar.  I would suggest that you get a referral to a gastroenterologist.  However, you might do some research on fatty liver disease...just a thought. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.