Possibly a Hypochondriac, terrified that I might have Leukemia... help😕

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, this is my first time posting on this site. I'm 22 years old and tend to have health anxiety. It goes from one thing to the next. Last month I had found a red splotch on my breast, googled and inflammatory breast cancer came up. I went to 2 different doctors, got an ultrasound and both confirmed that it was not breast cancer. It took a long time for me to accept that. Now this month I had a cold that lasted 9 days. Came back from my vacation this last week and had a weird stomach virus. Then I had a physical on Wednesday feeling fine and had a fever of 100.6. I also noticed sometimes when I brush my teeth my gums will bleed. I looked up both symptoms on google and all I got was Leukemia symptoms. I do not feel yucky, I do not feel fatigued, I do not have pale skin, I do not have a rash or decreased appetite. But I've read a few horror stories of teens saying that they thought they were fine but ended up having the disease. I'm waiting to get labs done as I write this and I'm so nervous. I'm absolutely terrified! Does anyone have any experience of leukemia, does this sound like it? Anything helps, pray/send happy thoughts for good blood tests for me and that I don't get a call telling me that I need to pack a hospital bagsad

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I dont see how the symptoms you are talking abut make you fell that you have leukemia.First of all do some blood test(full blood count,differential,ESR).Ask the lab to do the differential manually ,this way they will see if there are abnormal cells.Your FBC results will probably show elevated lymphocytes or leukocytes which is normal for the stomach infection that you were talking about.You are way too young to think about having cancer,so dont worry about such symptoms
    • Posted

Thank you for your advice. I asked the lab to do the tests, they were very nice and accommodating. I got my results back over a week later (usually a good sign, less urgency = less serious). The doctor called me telling me that all of my blood work looked good. Everything was in normal range and there were no signs of abnormal cells. The only thing he mentioned that was abnormal was that my glucose levels were a little high and to cut out sugar and carbs. He also mentioned I had no immunity to chicken pox and that I should get a booster shot. 

The new issue is that I seem to always have a cold of some sort, but I've been told repeatedly that it is very common for a first-year teacher to be sick often during your first year (lack of sleep, stress, and constantly being exposed to millions of germs every day). Overall, I'm not too worried now, but the sensitive gums is still concerning me. I may schedule another doctors appointment to see what is causing it. Thank you for the advice, hope all is well.

• Posted

I have something called neutropenia (low WBC) that causes illnesses because I don’t have enough WBC for my immune system to fight off infection. I had a bone marrow biopsy to rule out leukemia, per my request (since I’m a RN and I refuse to “watch and wait” to see if I have cancer). But I don’t have leukemia. I’ve noticed a decline in my gum health, as well. I don’t get “red splotches” but I did develop a boil on my breast once because having a low WBC leaves skin open to infection more easily. The area was red. Not suggesting you have what I have, but that you shouldn’t jump immediately to the conclusion that you have cancer. Get it checked out, sure, but don’t freak out too quickly.
    • Posted

Thank you for the advice, it was truly appreciated and calming. Luckily, my results came back normal, everything was good except I had a bit of a higher glucose level than the doctor wanted. Just needed to cut out excess sugar and carbs.  The new issue is that I seem to always have a cold of some sort, but I've been told repeatedly that it is very common for a first-year teacher to be sick often during your first year (lack of sleep, stress, and constantly being exposed to millions of germs every day). Overall, I'm not too worried now, but the sensitive gums is still concerning me. I may schedule another doctors appointment to see what is causing it. Thank you for the advice, hope all is well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.