Possibly another issue.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone, Whilst I was told for 18 months that I have got vaginal Atrophy, then the gynaecologist said I had lichen sclerosus, I have been looking at my symptoms again on Google and actually they fit in with interstitial cystitis. Especially given that the HRT didn't work for me. But this IC is a lot about bladder discomfort and pain which I have a lot of, as well as wanting to wee all the time, which also affects me a lot. I presumed the vaginal soreness was nothing to do with it but on speaking to girls at an IC forum, they say they suffer with that too. So I'm seriously wondering if this could be my answer and not V A. Reading up about it on Google, it mentions not eating or drinking anything acidic. No tomatoes etc. So I don't know if it was just co-incidence or not but on Friday I had tomato soup for lunch - I knew nothing about the IC at this time. And I was really sore and uncomfortable on Friday afternoon. I will see if there is an IC forum here

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Just in Mc Ds in town updating using their free wifi.

Been taking Aloe Vera Capsules since last weekend and monitoring my fluid intake. Now drinking between 1.5 and 2 litres a day. Keeping off tomatoes, fizzy drinks, spicy foods, anything acidic. And whilst things aren't perfect, perhaps never will be, I can see some improvement.

Not had so much of that awful bloated bladder feeling. Not had so much of that dribble when I go for a pee. Not had as much soreness either. Have had soreness at end of urethra and I just go and wipe it with a cotton wool thing dipped in cold water. Mostly this helps.

Also, I do still get the urge often but at least I don't feel so bloated with it. I've got it now but it's not as uncomfortable as it was before.

Also whilst I remember I was in Poundland the other day and in amongst condoms etc they were selling a gel that has Aloe Vera and Vit E in it! Was going to get some but the queue for the till was too long so will get some next time.

• Posted

Just went for a pee in Mc Donald's. Expected it to be a trickle but I emptied my bladder! However, after having done so there was discomfort straight away, soreness at the end of my uthera etc so I'm going to sort that out now with the cotton wool wipes and cold water.
    • Posted

Hey Shirley, nice to hear from you i see you are still having good / bad days like us all. I'm not too bad my Hrt seems to be working well, I keep a diary so I can note patterns that may attribute to the good and bad days which helps me . 

I do hope you are ok despite your setbacks  xx

• Posted

Hi Jules, Glad you are not too bad and your HRT seems to be working well. Yes I have been keeping a diary too. My diary is a fluid intake/bladder diary. So I can see how much I have drank and what I have drank. Also when I urinate and how much to see if I can see a pattern to it. I was doing a food diary but perhaps I need to start that again. I have just remembered I had some tomato sauce at lunch time and I am wondering if that's contributed to this being a bad afternoon. Also I have been reading a lot about sugar being one of the worst things to eat if you've got IC. And there goes my problem! I'm an emotional eater and eat loads of sugar. It's the drug of my choice. I eat loads of junk food full stop. Of course junk food is full of sugar, white flour, salt and fat. I know how foolish I am consuming so much sugar etc but it numbs my emotional pain and distress. At least I am open and honest about it. But it has been suggested that I give it up to get rid of the IC. With this in mind it makes perfect sense to give it up. But I don't know how I'd cope without it. So I don't know what to do. Probably I'm not convinced giving up sugar would help my IC to go. And that doesn't help, also if might take ages before the IC pain and discomfort starts going and I like quick results! Think I need to look further into this.
    • Posted

It seems like you have to give up everything just go have some normality . I have given up wine, although not a particular heavy drinker I decided it was way too acidic and would cause more problems for me.i don't think I could give up chocolate, although I try to limit the amount I eat, I understand about it bring a source of comfort tho! Do you have to give it up entirely ? Is that what they suggest, or maybe cut back ? . A life without sweet things seems awfully bleak! 

• Posted

Hi Jools, Yes it does seem like you have to give everything up to get some normality doesn't it. Sorry you have had to give up wine. I don't drink it but can see it must be quite acidic. I don't think I can give up chocolate either! But I am glad you can see it's a source of comfort, as is any other junk food. Cup cakes, any cake really, sweets, crisps, ice creams, toffees, MC Donald's, so on and so forth. I can't go to petrol station without buying a bag of giant buttons or something similar. And I can't go shopping without buying sweets, chocolate or some nice desert. Personally speaking, I think junk food is as lethal as drugs or cigarettes etc and I think it takes the same amount of strength to give up junk food as it does drugs and cigarettes, even alcohol if you are an alcoholic. Everyone who uses these substances knows the danger to their health as a result of using them, but still they can't give them up, at least not without professional support and encouragement etc. I have a friend who is overweight and eats loads of junk. Like me she has done for many years. It's quite sad really. She was adopted so her birth parents rejected her. This has impacted on her whole life, marriage and the relationship she has with her kids. I think she is an emotional eater because she is numbing her pain with junk food. Or she is gaining weight as "Protection" from any more pain and distress. Of course I can't tell her this. She has to see it for herself. I do urge her to go for weight loss counselling because no amount of visits to SW or WWs will fix it if you aren't motivated and focused and they can't give you that focus either. If they could, nobody would be overweight. It's like those who say, "Eat less and move more". If it were that simple, again, nobody would be overweight. Whilst I'm not suggesting everyone has issues like my friend, I think that many people deal with lesser or worse emotional issues by eating junk, drinking or smoking, perhaps taking drugs. I want to be able to stop my dependance on the drug of my choice once and for all but it seems impossible. Even if I'd not got IC I would want to give up my emotional eating. I will see if I can find that page on Facebook about giving up sugar and link you to it somehow.
    • Posted

Hi Jools, I've got a web address for you re not eating sugar if you have got Interstitial Cystitis. Can't lost it here as no doubt it won't be allowed and can't find how to send you a PM either.
  • Posted

Hi all,i thought wine etc had alot to do with it,well i have been drinking it again and having sweets now and then. I havnt had as much outside irritation for about a month. Do get it now and then. Again with me,doesnt seem to be food etc
    • Posted

Hi Lee, Glad you've not had as much outside irritation for about a month now. I don't drink at all so that's not the answer in my case. I have, as you can see by my other post on here, been eating a lot of junk food etc but I've not had a bad week, till yesterday. Well not bad since Sunday anyway. Not perfect but not bad. I had a rough day yesterday from about 1pm till I went to bed. I was think it can't be because I have eaten too much sugary things or junk food BUT maybe it can. Maybe it took a few days for the effects of the sugar etc to build up, then it attacked me again yesterday. Glad though that food doesn't seem to be your trigger.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.