possibly diabetic

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had a routine blood test a few months ago and my GP said my blood sugar is a bit high, I might have diabetes and she wants to test me again in 3 months. So of course I looked up the symptoms and found weight loss was one... I have been losing half a pound a week since October so 10 lbs overall and was really wondering why. And now I am getting constant thirst which is increasing all the time... I just made an appointment to see her but as usual it's not for three weeks and now I'm really worried. Is there anything I can do in the meantime? I have an excellent diet, I don't really like sugar so no cakes, puddings, sweets etc, no fast food, no white bread, not much rice... and now I only weigh 7 stone 13 so way underweight. Oh, and I'm 70 years old. I'm scared and worried, diabetes is the last thing I would have expected.

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I didn't mention that when I saw my own HbA1c numbers were higher than I would have liked and I was heading for diabetes, one of the drs at the practice [not my usual dr] just blandly said "Watch your diet [didn't say how!] and when your numbers reach 50 mmol/l - and they will -  I will have the Metformin ready for you". Over my dead body I thought and worked on it determined to lower the number if possible. And last November I realised that it had dropped to 40 mmol from 42. So I was pleased at that and pleased to have snubbed the rather arrogant dr who had seemed so certain that he was going to have another diabetic patient on his register. i believe they get paid a bonus if they diagnose someone with either hypertension or diabetes so they are not really in the market for giving good advice.  It's all wrong i feel but I do feel like that.  In the past, never having visited drs except when ill, I was shocked to find I had hypertension after a routine check. Of course I am now on their register but was livid with the nurse who did the health check when she patronisingly said "Well - you are 70 now". I just snapped that No, I was 29 thank you very much and probably a darn site more healthy and certainly a lot fitter than she was !! I'm 73 now btw.
    • Posted

Yes, I do think you have to take an active part in your own health care and in checking what your GP tells you, however good they are (we can all make mistakes!). My current GP is very good but then I have had some horrors in my time (one got struck off) so I'm really happy.

I know I am jumping the gun as I haven't yet been diagnosed but I can't see that I can improve my diet much as I have an excellent diet with very little sugar, and I get lots of exercise and I don't want to take any more medication (already on stuff for osteoporosis and anxiety – which explains my ability to catastrophise before I'm diagnosed!!!). And if I cut out the odd bits of sugary food I do eat (ie bananas, occasional biscuit, and bit of plain chocolate) wouldn't I lose even more weight?

• Posted

Diabetes cannot always be avoided no matter what people do...oft times it can only be delayed, if at all.

Genetics as well as previous long ago lifestyle choices will have already made the decision and the outcome unavoidable.

• Posted

I do realise that lill88 but it's still in one's own best interest not to accept anything as inevitable and to fight it all the way. Glass half full attitude rather than half empty.  And it's certainly true that with prediabetes one does have a window to delay the onset of Type 2. Worth a try I would have thought and a good chance of it working.
    • Posted

I agree Lill 3898. sometimes as in my case and others i know diabetes cannot be avoided. For some of us, it is nothing tondo with genetics, unhealthy eating, lack of exercise or previous lifestyle choices. I have been on steroids continuously for ten years due To an auto immune disorder and according to the consultant nothing I could have done to prevent me developing diabetes.mHe was just surprised that I had managed 7 years before developing it. Unfortunately, because my diabetes is steroid induced I have had to go on insulin less than 2 years after diagnosis which according to my diabetes team is quite unusual.
    • Posted

Very good points Gill.

Steroid induced I very real...even now there are questions in respect to some statins and females who are, possibly, being pushed into type II.

Some times, no matter what , we draw our lots in life and in other times, we contribute.

I hope your insulin is keeping you well!

Thanks for your comment, Gill, very good.

Lill

• Posted

It's called glucose intolerant and you would be wise to change your diet anyway.    I was diagnosed with type 2 17 years ago and within two years was on insulin   I was never overweight, was superfit, ate healthy food and there was no history of diabetes in my family, so why diabetes?   simple:   mumps (for the second time), chicken pox (also for the second time and influenza A all withing a 12 month period. 
    • Posted

Thank you for that Tony~

Glucose intolerance absolutely!

I agree with your points.

Lill

• Posted

Perhaps I should elucidate on my previous post:   If you haven't yet been diagnosed you would be wise to limit carbs until such time as a diagnosis is forthcoming and you have access to a blood glucose meter and appropriate medications.   If you are indeed diabetic a carb rich diet without appropriate medications can only do you harm (hyperglycemia).

• Posted

Thank you Tony. I really don't know how to limit carbs as I don't eat that many anyway – a couple of slices of wholemeal toast a day and rice or potatoes with dinner, and not much of either, at that! I eat easily 5-a-day of fruit and veg (mostly veg), and nothing like cake or pudding, no fast food, no pizza, no pasta, nothing processed... If I cut those few carbs out I'd just lose more weight surely? And I'm already underweight as it is. I think I'll just have to wait for the next blood test.
  • Posted

Fruit is loaded with sugar, wholemeal or grain breads also have plenty of sugar, what I'm saying is, if you are diabetic eating fruits, breads, potatos, etc, will cause your BGL to skyrocket.   Makes no difference if wholemeal, grain, whatever, they all have sugar..   I say again, until you have a diagnosis limit the carbs, there are plenty of other foods that will put meat on your ribs.    Losing weight and being thirsty all the time are pretty common symptoms of diabetes.   If you can't get a diagnosis, I would suggest you at least get a glucose monitor so you can monitor your BGLs.   On being worried and scared, no need, diabetes is easily controlled if approached correctly, and once you have the appropriate medications you can eat as much fruit and bread as you like.
  • Posted

Sue, please don't worry. I am a similar age to you (68) and was told 4 years ago I may have diabetes, then 3 years ago told I definitely did have diabetes but definitely did not lose weight at all. May 2014 put on one tablet a day then a sudden deterioration January 2015 led to me going on 8 tablets per day. Further deterioration end January this year means I am now on insulin as well but my diabetes consultant, after looking at my food diary, told me my deterioration in diabetes had nothing to do with what I was eating. My diet is similar to what you say yours is. I would therefore say do not change your diet unless and until your gp tells you to.

It is scary when you are first told you may have diabetes, but I have found I have several friends with diabetes some of whom are on insulin like me and as a result we have formed an informal support group which I have found very helpful. Because they are a bit further down the road than me, and have survived well, a lot of the fear has gone. Do you know anyone with diabetes that you could talk to?

• Posted

No, I don't know anyone with diabetes, isn't that strange? You'd think it was common, eg more common than cancer, but I know loads of people who have/have had cancer but no one with diabetes. And I do agree, I won't change my diet till told to, and till advised how to cut out sugar and carbs without losing yet more weight! In any case, my sudden weight loss might be down to something else entirely so I need a definite diagnosis first.
    • Posted

Yes I agree - do not change your diet until you get a definite diagnosis. Do let me know when you do get one! Gill

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.